Do I need a calcium supplement if....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toria88

Hello all! I hope you're having a wonderful time preparing for Christmas/the holidays. :blob8: I have a question!

I've had my baby, Puff, for about a month now. So far he's doing great. I had been giving him calcium powder, but I'm wondering if I still need it? I have switched to feeding him a staple of mostly phoenix worms. The only other staple he gets (less often that phoenix worms) are crix, and they are gut loaded with a very high calcium formula. He gets proper UVB, and I also give him a multivitamin 3-5 times a week. Is a calcium supplement still necessary with the phoenix worms? Any advice would be great, thanks!!! :mrgreen:

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
I'm not entirely sure about the calcium, but I do not believe you need to dust the Phoenix worms. You should cut back on the multivitamin a bit though! You don't want any mineral buildups or aynthing like that. Twice a week is sufficient for the multivitamins. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is correct, you don't need to dust the phoenix worms.
The vitamins only need to be given 1-2 times per week for babies/juveniles & 1 time per week for adults.
How often are phoenix worms eaten? I would still give calcium a few times per week just to be sure he is getting enough calcium. Does he eat any other feeder or greens?

Tracie

Toria88

Original Poster
Really?
daner923":38k41ib1 said:
You should cut back on the multivitamin a bit though! You don't want any mineral buildups or aynthing like that. Twice a week is sufficient for the multivitamins. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though!

I'm glad you brought that up! I got yelled at, well... Scolded, I would say, by someone on the foum that insisted that multivitamins "MUST be given to babies 5-6 times a week. :shock: I was a little surprised and thought that might be over doing it, but I listened... Sort of! :lol: With me doing more like 3-4 times a week. I'll definitely cut back on the vitamins!

daner923":38k41ib1 said:
I'm not entirely sure about the calcium, but I do not believe you need to dust the Phoenix worms

I also was told not to dust the phoenix worms. it even said that on their official website lol, so I trust their judgement. :p I'm going to buy some extra calcium to dust my other feeders though.

Drache613":38k41ib1 said:
How often are phoenix worms eaten? I would still give calcium a few times per week just to be sure he is getting enough calcium. Does he eat any other feeder or greens?

Phoenix worms are given daily in his AM feeding. For his PM feeding, he almost always gets crix. My crix are gut loaded with 1) A High calcium grain gut-feeding formula 2) A calcium rich jelly as their water source C) The left over greens that Puff does not eat. :) In between the AM and PM feedings, he gets his "salad" lol. :lol: Consisting of either collard greens, mustard greens, or both. I also mix in the Juvenile Bearded Dragon Pellets as a sort of "salad topper lol". Then I spritz them so the greens stay moist and the pellets become soft. Aside from his wonderful salad.... He almost never touches it. :banghead: Although, I continue to offer it ever day in hopes that something will change! "Le sigh" I bought butternut squash to try to feed him, but I have no idea how I would prepare it for a beardie! :study: :shock: Do I cook it? Mash it? Feed it to him in small raw cubes? Shred it raw? Needless to say, I haven't cracked it open yet lol. Any advice? :D

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
As far as the squash, you can microwave it briefly to soften it, then offer him very thin slices. Or you could try grating it raw, but it kinda turns into mush that way :lol:. I have found that if you offer your beardie some greens by hand before the feeders in the morning, he may actually eat some. You should leave the salad in there from then until approximately 2 hours before lights off.

I bet someone was trying to tell you to dust with calcium 5-6 times a week and just got confused/made a typo. Best of luck to you and Puff, and happy holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom