Do female roaches produce egg sacs without fertilization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Hi all!

My sister likes weird pets, so when I got roaches she decided they were "cute" and she wanted some as pets. I picked out a few mid-sized ones (which I had identified as females) and gave them to her, and they've since grown up and are nice healthy adult female pet roaches. Later I gave her some males, but she has kept them separate. The females have not once been with male roaches since reaching maturity.

However, she just told me that she saw one with an egg sac sticking out of it today. :?

So, are female roaches like chickens? Do they produce eggs/egg sacs even if they aren't fertilized? I've never had males and females separate, so anytime I see a female with an egg sac, I assume she's "pregnant," but maybe that's not always the case? I assume that, if they do produce eggs without being fertilized, that they'll just discard the egg sac before long.

Thanks for any info!

clear

Sub-Adult Member
Very interesting question and I dont have an answer for it. Let us know what happens!

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Yes they can produce an egg sac but if never with a male their will be no babies. Is it possible any of them came in contact with a male? Also sometimes a female can push out a fat pocket. But if all else fails just wait and see if their are any babies. :D An interesting fact an American roach once pregnant can in deed keep producing babies without ever coming in contact with another male. Dubias on the other hand need the male to keep injecting the sperm packet into the female to keep producing babies. Hope this helps.... :D

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Twobeardieguy":3ssoozs6 said:
Yes they can produce an egg sac but if never with a male their will be no babies. Is it possible any of them came in contact with a male? Also sometimes a female can push out a fat pocket. But if all else fails just wait and see if their are any babies. :D An interesting fact an American roach once pregnant can in deed keep producing babies without ever coming in contact with another male. Dubias on the other hand need the male to keep injecting the sperm packet into the female to keep producing babies. Hope this helps.... :D

That is interesting! My sister said the female ended up dropping the egg sac, so I guess they just produce them and get rid of them if they haven't actually been fertilized. I wonder if they'll continue to produce egg sacs their whole life or if it's just a one time thing. Hm. Never thought I would know so much about tropical cockroaches. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom