spikeithard

Hatchling Member
I tried the acrylic paint in the bottle and it came out really watery

Any ideas on how to thicken it up but not too much it won't come out

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You just have to get the blend right.

It still should work though even if its watery.

The water will eventually evaporate, leaving the paint.

-Brandon

clossboss

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
how long do i leave the rock to air out after done sealing and everything before adding it into the cage?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You could put it in once its dry, since mod podge is non toxic, but I always let my rocks air out for a day just for peace of mind.

-Brandon

spikeithard

Hatchling Member
Im just about to grout my masterpiece of styrofoam lol Im quite nervous but really all I have to do is slop it on I know. The part im not looking forward to is painting it. I think after I put on about 3 coats or so of grout, I might try a textured cement/rock colored outdoor type paint. as long as I mod podge it after it should be safe. I would rather have a real grey rock look then a more fake brown type rock with acrylic paint

clossboss

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was worried about the same thing. I got a slate gray color and after a couple coats its looking pretty good. The grout gives it pretty good texture, may like this one better than the textured spraypaint but we'll see.

clossboss

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
finished my second rock for Dude's cage today. This is the one with acrylic paint and mod podge....i like the texture.

rock2finished1.jpg

rock2finished2.jpg

clossboss

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i put dudes rock in his tank last night and he has yet to go up on it! is this normal for them to be weary of new things in their cage? he has been basking on the tile down almost underneath it, which has high enough temps for him but i want him to go on top! how long until he gets comfortable enough with a new thing in the cage?

Draxx

I used plain white grout mix and added the paint into the grout on a frog tank background I did for a Firebelly Toad tank I did. Saved the painting step and worked well. I used the water based acrylic paint they sell at Walmart, Michaels etc.

First post here btw. I had a beardie about 20 years ago and got a craving to get another, so just finished building a Crossfire type enclosure and am making a mess with foam as we speak :). Certainly a departure from my Crestie. Thanks for all the great info on this site to get me started right.
Amazing all the information that has come out and great products available since I last had a bearded dragon. :D

Draxx

http://www.freewebs.com/crossfireenclosures/ Seems to be a popular design.

I went with 1/2 instead of 3/4 inch and made a few changes to the basic design, but seems like a good amount of space for one dragon.

Mrs Draxx is getting tired of little bits of styrofoam finding their way into the house from the garage while I am "creating" ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eragon21
Top Bottom