DIY Fake Rock Water Fall Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandyBear

First I'm going to say that this is not going in my dragon's tank, it's for my Poison Dart Frogs.

I am going to be building them a fake rock water fall, that will be about 2-1/2 feet high to go into their new Exoterra, (36x18x36x)
I am using a canister filter to provide the water source, and the bottom of their tank is going to be drilled to accommodate this.

My question is, do you think I should grout the whole piece of Styrofoam, or just the front/exposed parts?
The back of the waterfall will never be seen, or get wet. It will just have 1 hose going up the back of it. I will also be attaching the waterfall to the actual tank with GE silicone II for Windows and doors.

I haven't done any fake rock builds yet, but I have a couple that I'm probably going to start all at the same time.
I appreciate any input

Thanks
-Sandy

Jess

Extreme Poster
Grout the whole piece of styrofoam. It is much more durable that way.

And ONLY use GE silicon I, NOT GE silicone II! The Silicone II has a anti-mildew chemical in it that will kill your frogs. Silicone I is aquarium and reptile safe.

SandyBear

Original Poster
I've been using GE Silicone II for Windows and Doors for the past 3 years on all of my tank builds. I've used it on my tanks for my tree frogs, semi-aquatic frogs and my aquatic frogs. I've also used it in my tanks with my Cresties.

It was recommended to me by other froggers

I was told not to use the GE II for Kitchens and Baths as that one had the undesirable chemicals in it.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Grout the whole thing, it won't take too much more time, prevents mildew, and will prevent feeders from burrowing into the foam (one of the bigger issues). I'd even recommend doing a base concrete coat, it's super durable, waterproof (sealant does fail sometimes), and extremely cheap - an 80lb. bag is 4 dollars. I'm sure they sell smaller bags also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom