DIY Custom tank or Store bought Glass Breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a question we're pondering for our new Bearded Dragon. We've only had him a month and are guess-timating that he/she is about 11 weeks old, so this will be for the future when it is time to increase the cage size.

My husband, a carpenter, would love to build a custom cage for the beardie, with a DIY back wall that has ledges and climbing rocks. I love the idea, but am worried about cleaning all the bacteria, germs and nasties that could get trapped on it. Does anyone have any ideas about a good cleaning product and or method? I'm concerned that all the grooves and crevices of a homemade wall would harbor harmful bacteria. I've read that a 10% bleach solution will kill almost everything, but also read that bleach is not safe for beardies.

I am leaning toward a glass breeder bought at the store, thinking that it would be the best option to thoroughly clean and disinfect.

What do you all think? Thanks!

10% bleach solution would kill mostly eveything and as long as you wash it thoroughly the beardie will be fine. I like making my own cleaning solution with vinegar, lemon, salt, and water. It works great and is all natural.

GingerBeachy

Original Poster
ProfessorD":22gucrcl said:
10% bleach solution would kill mostly eveything and as long as you wash it thoroughly the beardie will be fine. I like making my own cleaning solution with vinegar, lemon, salt, and water. It works great and is all natural.

Thanks for the info. Is there a specific ratio that you use? I'd prefer a more natural cleaner rather than bleach.

For I think a 4 or 5 cup sprayer, I put 5-6 cups of water to a boil, added about a tablespoon of salt, stirred and let cool back down, added 2 cups of vinegar, and then squeezed one lemon and stirred together. It works really well for my beardie, frogs, and newts.

BotanicalStig

Juvie Member
To be honest the diy faux rock structures are a bit of a pain to take care of and they don't last very long. I've made some for my beardie and after 6 months use they're cracked and torn to bits. I had to replace my original with a backup. That was after five layers of grout and three layers of proper non toxic grout sealant.

If that's the route you were planning on going I would try and sway you in the other direction. Mooses adult tank with not have any diy structures in it. However, with your husband being a carpenter there's no excuse to not build the tank yourselves :)

Just my two cents.

GingerBeachy

Original Poster
BotanicalStig":ekldvzgw said:
To be honest the diy faux rock structures are a bit of a pain to take care of and they don't last very long. I've made some for my beardie and after 6 months use they're cracked and torn to bits. I had to replace my original with a backup. That was after five layers of grout and three layers of proper non toxic grout sealant.

If that's the route you were planning on going I would try and sway you in the other direction. Mooses adult tank with not have any diy structures in it. However, with your husband being a carpenter there's no excuse to not build the tank yourselves :)

Just my two cents.

I appreciate your two cents :D

As you mentioned, the DIY structures and the possibility of it being too hard to get clean properly is my biggest concern. Especially since we've only had the beardie for a month, I'm a novice on care and cleaning.

I would like a custom tank, he's looking to use plywood and acrylic...... I prefer all clear sides though, again to make sure all germs and bacteria are erradicated! We have all four sides of the breeder glass clear of any backdrop and our beardie seems calm and content. I've noticed that alot of other posters suggest putting backgrounds, etc to help destress the lizards, is that necessary? Or only if the lizard seems stressed? We've been fortunate that there has been no relocation stress with ours ..... he started eating right away and hasn't stopped since!

Thanks for the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom