Disoriented-- isn't walking right *Pics & vid - All Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Big hugs to you and MoMo (all I could think of to say for exception of crying).

End of September?!?! :shock: Unacceptable! Is she THAT busy??
Hopefully the vet would be able to find something from the blood work. Like Tracie said, MoMo might be having other nutritional issues, thus not being able to absorb the calcium and other supplements.

I know this won't really help much, but keep your chin up and don't give up on her.

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Sigh. Thanks for the encouragement. I knew something like this would happen eventually. I haven't been able to get the girls what they need. I'm still considering rehoming MoMo especially after this. Obviously I am having issues keeping her healthy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jacqui,

Hm, well, that amount of calcium definitely could not have caused a reaction. I believe it is going to be nutritional, unfortunately.
Remember, thiamin deficiency can cause terrible twitching problems which is a very simple fix.
What vitamins do you have at home? Do you have any B complex type of vitamins that are capsule form or tablet form to where you could crush up & give a small pinch in some baby food for her?
So, she did not twitch when she was on the calcium? I know the calcium is bound to be helping her. Use your judgement on that, hon, ok? It is safe to give to her.
Since the collards are higher in oxalates, can you use squash, & basil, & maybe another green dandelion or escarole as another alternative for now? Just to make sure she isn't eating foods that are hindering her ability to absorb calcium.
How much D3 is she or has she been getting? If she is getting an excess of D3 it could be a hypervitaminosis type of scenario that is a possibility.
Try to keep her hydrated, & work on finding a B vitamin complex. Also, if you can't find that, brewer's yeast is very rich in vitamins & nutrients.
I am sorry the vet is not cooperating right now.

Keep us posted!!

Tracie

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Drache613":2gnjasv1 said:
Hello Jacqui,

Hm, well, that amount of calcium definitely could not have caused a reaction. I believe it is going to be nutritional, unfortunately.
Remember, thiamin deficiency can cause terrible twitching problems which is a very simple fix.
What vitamins do you have at home? Do you have any B complex type of vitamins that are capsule form or tablet form to where you could crush up & give a small pinch in some baby food for her?
So, she did not twitch when she was on the calcium? I know the calcium is bound to be helping her. Use your judgement on that, hon, ok? It is safe to give to her.
Since the collards are higher in oxalates, can you use squash, & basil, & maybe another green dandelion or escarole as another alternative for now? Just to make sure she isn't eating foods that are hindering her ability to absorb calcium.
How much D3 is she or has she been getting? If she is getting an excess of D3 it could be a hypervitaminosis type of scenario that is a possibility.
Try to keep her hydrated, & work on finding a B vitamin complex. Also, if you can't find that, brewer's yeast is very rich in vitamins & nutrients.
I am sorry the vet is not cooperating right now.

Keep us posted!!

Tracie

Hello again Tracie. :)

I'm guessing most reptile vitamin supplements have thiamin in them? I used to have some liquid B vitamins I used for Reggie, would something like that help? I'll have to snoop around and see if we have B complex vitamins. My stepfather is a real health nut (with medicines, though, not diet :roll: ) and he has tons of fish oils and capsules and everything, I'll ask if he has anything. Is there a certain brand or anything I should look for?

She acted perfectly healthy on the calcium, no twitching or anything. If a deficiency is part of the problem, I'll get her back onto a regular dosage. Also, is once a day enough? I read on your chart that beardies with MBD should be given liquid calcium twice a day, but I wasn't sure if it would be wise to give MoMo so much.

I'll be sure to pick up some escarole or something. What types of foods hinder her calcium-absorbing ability?

I just realized that her vitamins had D3 in them, so she's probably been getting it for awhile. Should I keep using those, or should I get others? I've currently got a good supply of calcium without D3 (powdered) but now that I'm back on ReptiSuns....

The vet still hasn't called. She goes to our church, though, so we'll probably tackle her tomorrow morning if we see her. :lol: To be honest, other vets in our area get very bad reviews, and so my vet is the most popular because they actually care about the animals, and not the money. Which means we may have a bit of an issue getting in.

Crossing my fingers for some good luck to come our way....

Jacqui

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
This might be asking for alot, but since your vet goes to the same church as you, would you be able to "convince" her to stop over and take a quick look at MoMo, given her schedule won't allow you to go into the office for another month?

jacqui778":daf6pmuf said:
What types of foods hinder her calcium-absorbing ability?
Look through Beautiful Dragons' Nutrition Content chart for what plants are high in oxalates.

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Gina-- that sounds a bit like a kidnapping scheme. :lol: Well, I have the video on my phone of MoMo walking that I can show her, and some other pictures, and hopefully when she hears me explain things she'll try to make room for us to bring MoMo in. We're not so close that we could ask her to drop by, but I go to school with her daughter and my mother talks to her during school events, and field trips, and whatever else. She's a really nice woman, I'm sure she'd actually try to find us a time slot to bring MoMo in (as opposed to other vets, who say they will, then never even think about it again.... we know one of those kinds, too).

I'll have to read through the site again. Someone once gave me a link to a site where all the calcium-rich foods and some that weren't good for calcium absorbtion were charted, but I seem to have lost it. :? I'll dig through my thread and see if it's there.

Jacqui

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh! Almost forgot. I went out and bought some organic B Complex vitamins ($10?! Seriously?! I am sooo WHIPPED!), crushed them up, and sprinkled it on some babyfood. A couple licks in, MoMo decided she didn't like it. :banghead: Little brat. She actually tried to run away, but that ended badly. She even had the nerve to wipe the babyfood off of her mouth and onto my shirt. :roll: I'll try tomorrow morning, when she's groggy and not quite awake. Maybe if I trick her into it (give her the yummy calcium, and force the babyfood into her mouth whilst she's licking her lips?) she'll eat some. I don't blame her, though. They smell funny.

Jacqui

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Kidnapping? Nah, you're just "borrowing" her for awhile :wink:

MoMo didn't like the B complex, huh? Well, I don't blame her. Vitamins smell bad whole, so I could only imagine how much worse crushed up could be.
Did she eat the babyfood ok?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jacqui,

How is Momo doing? I hope you are able to see the vet for a quick visit then, or "kidnap" her perhaps! LOL
Are you using both the powdered calcium & the liquid calcium together, or just the liquid? If you are using both, just use the liquid right now, not the powdered.
Well, since she has MBD, then you can give her the dose twice daily, or all at once that is fine. Was she diagnosed with MBD by the vet, or not? I was just wondering.
Has her balance improved at all?
Yeah, the B vitamins don't smell very good, so crushing them up would be horrid! No, there is no particular brand really, just B complex is fine. Hopefully you can get some into her then!
Just take the nutrition chart with you to the store or jot down a few ideas before going so you don't forget what to look for. Have you been able to get extra oral fluids into her at all?
So how many sources were you using, that had vitamin D3 in it?

Please keep us posted on her.

Tracie

momohobobobo

Hatchling Member
you know, i was laying in bed and thinking about this post since i had read it earlier, and it dawned on me that there is a chance that the syringe you used had medication in or something that beardies shouldn't have. Even though it would be a minuscule amount, the smallest amount of human medication would be A LOT for a little beardie. I actually went out and looked at the syringe a used a few months back for my pain medication after my wisdom teeth and actually found a little caked to the rubber gasket part inside, even after washing it after each use... im just saying there's a chance of it being the case. i mean not everyone has a syringe in their house and it seems that every syringe i've ever had came with medicine, that may be the case with others. And the way your beardie's acting seems sorta cohesive with the effects of pain meds, as far as the way she seems dizzy, sort of delayed movement or reaction and the loss of body control like the eyes going all crazy and not being able to move normal. Im just putting it out there, its just something that could easily be overlooked and i want to make sure you consider it cause who knows, it may be the case, or at least help. Anyway, best of luck

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Hi Jacqui! How is your little MoMo today?
I hope you are able to speak to the vet today while at church. That would be ideal if she could fit you in this week.
So, MoMo didn't care for the vit B crushed up. I know Tracie mentioned the Brewer's Yeast in an earlier post, which is rich in vitamin B. I use this for Rex when she is getting twitchy and it does help. I even dust her worms with it and she seems to not be bothered by it. It has no smell.
Is MoMo still exhibiting all the same symptoms she had in the video? How do her eyes look now?

I am praying that the vet will get to the bottom of this for you. I know you must be beside yourself with worry about your little girl.
If there is anything I can do for you Jacqui, you know I am here for you.
((hugs))

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Oh my Jacqui I'm so sorry to hear that Momo is having difficulties and causing you stress and heartache. :cry:
Best of wishes that you are able to get into the vet sooner than the end of September.
Sorry I have no advice to add only the vitamin B or brewers yeast as already suggested :(

Hugs & Snuggles!

jacqui778

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
So sorry I didn't reply sooner, guys. Today was my very first day as a high school freshman, and I was spazzing out. It went well, though.

MoMo started walking again yesterday. :D She's back to normal, it seems, blinking right and moving right. Of course, the vet finally decided to call us today. :roll: Bit late. The vitamin B seemed to work, even though she only took a few licks. She's small though, so I'm not surprised, maybe a small amount can go a long way.

It's weird how there are no symptoms whatsoever of her previous condition. She literally seems.... fine. I'll give her some Brewer's Yeast on her food to keep up the levels, and hopefully find better vitamins (it seems that's the root of the problem, no?). Thanks for all your concern, support, and assistance, guys. :D Dunno what I'd do without the forums!! :roll:

momohobobobo: I never take any chances with my lizards. Everytime I get liquid calcium, I always order a new syringe, if it doesn't come with a new one. That was a very creative theory, though, and I applaud you for it. :mrgreen:

Tracie: No, I don't use the powder and liquid calcium together. I'm giving MoMo the liquid until she seems to be better, then giving her the powder (which she previously preferred, not so sure now that I have raspberry flavored :lol: ). Liquid is always easier with Gem, though, since her appetite is never consistent. We never really got into the vet, so she wasn't officially diagnosed with MBD, but all signs point to it with big flashing lights.

MoMo is very good about drinking water. She's been drinking a lot, so she's well hydrated. She's also been pigging out on anything I give her, so her appetite is obviously back up. All seems to be back to normal.... hopefully it isn't just the "eye of the hurricane"....

The only source of D3 that MoMo was getting was the vitamins. I wasn't aware they had D3 in them, though.... But 2x a week surely isn't that bad? I didn't get them TOO long ago....

Jacqui

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Jacqui,

Well, I hope you had a good first day at school today, as a freshman!
Wow, Momo is back to normal, really, that quickly?
Perhaps it was a combination of dehydration as well as a vitamin deficiency then. Continue to give the Brewer's yeast several times per week right now to help her out, along with extra oral fluids too.
So, her balance is back to normal today? That is absolutely amazing. :blob5:
At least the vet finally called though, but, are you going to take her in still, or wait?
No, vitamin D3 is fine twice a week, there should be no problem at all with that. You can continue to give it in that manner, with the liquid calcium too just no powdered calcium right now as you are doing already.
It sounds like you are doing everything fine.
That is good Gem has been really good about taking in fluids. I am glad that she likes the calcium.
Let us know how things are going!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom