Discovered a cure for firefly poisoning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nasubi77

Sub-Adult Member
With all props to your miracle cure aside.... don't you think it might be wise to not let your beardies stay outside in a wire cage if there are that many lightning bugs around? I realize you have saved him from death twice, but next time you might not be so lucky. And it's got to be stressful to him to go through this. Why take the risk?

megabear

Original Poster
It's not as if the air is full of lightning bugs. I've seen some (maybe a few more than usual). But, I've succesfully had beardies outside in this same cage for a decade. One of the reasons my female has gotten to this ripe old age and still remains healthy is (IMO) because she spends 50% of the time outside. I agree with you that twice is too much. The first time I attributed the poisoning to a fluke happeing. Now, I'll net the cage for awhile and see what happens. Remember I didn't see him eat the darn bug; it seemed the most logical explanation for this poisoning. The female is 100% fine throughout this whole ordeal. I'm open to any insights.

HowlinGaleDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Retired Moderator
I don't know what to tell you but I am a breeder I do take my dragons outside but I NEVER EVER leave them alone and the cages are specially made so nothing can get in including bugs. My stand point on all this...I'm not trying to be rude... the first time should of been the eye opener....second time....your just lucky hes alive....dont allow a third do not leave your dragons outside anymore like that your asking for trouble.

My grandmother always told me this....

"Fool me once shame on you....Fool me twice shame on me"

Agian not trying to be rude but I would reconsider outdoor housing

megabear

Original Poster
With all due respect. I've had reptiles for 40 years and I've had dragons living outside for over ten years. I grant you this has been a very weird happening twice in a row...but it's also the first time in a decade of housing animals outdoors. I've netted the cage. No fire flies can get in now. I contend dragons are much healthier when allowed to live outside day and night for half the year. Maybe ...because this did happen others will know a way to save their dragons should they encounter poison be it from fire flies, box elders or spiders.

HowlinGaleDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Retired Moderator
My views are much different than yours on this sure you MIGHT have found a cure but is it really worth risking them anymore two incidents in a row...that is someone or something trying to tell you something.

My dragons are my KIDS and I will never put them in any risk and to me leaving them outside; that is a huge one.

megabear

Original Poster
Look I didn't come here to argue. And, no I don't think "someone" is trying to tell me something when my dragons eat a firefly (if you're referring to some metaphysical happening like God sending two fireflies to my male dragon in order to get me to see the light and bring them indoors at night). As I've already mentioned they are in netting now and no more fireflies can get into the cage. It's wonderful that you love you're animals, I assure you I do to; and you are right, we have very different views. I'm not sure anthropomorphizing is the healthiest way to approach animal husbandry--but each to his own. I came here to share something I thought would help others and prevent potential deaths of bearded dragons.

carriej73

Just an update on my bearded dragon, Puff. I think she is ok. She ate the cilantro and parsely along with green lettuce. She's eyeing me for crickets. Her color appears normal. She is kind of grayish, not black.
FINGERS CROSSED

gogga

Juvie Member
I came here to share something I thought would help others and prevent potential deaths of bearded dragons.

Thanx for the info. Im sure it can come in handy with pets and kids alike. And if it saves just 1 like it seems to have done for carriej73 its worth it.

Just an update on my bearded dragon, Puff. I think she is ok. She ate the cilantro and parsely along with green lettuce. She's eyeing me for crickets. Her color appears normal. She is kind of grayish, not black.
FINGERS CROSSED

Yeah ! Glad Puffs doing well. Will keep fingers crossed but if she made it this long, I think she may be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom