Discouraged Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

My bearded dragon that I got 1 week ago doesn't eat that much. He's about 5in long so maybe it's because he's very young? Anyways, I feed him crickets in a separate feeding bin. He actively hunts for them, but sometimes he misses. When he misses them several times, he gives up trying to eat. I ordered some black soldier fly larvae, so maybe that will help a little bit more.

Anyone got suggestions besides ripping the crickets legs off?

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
When you dust them, shake them, kind of doing a 'shake and bake' type thing, and them IMMEDIATELY dumb them into the tub. I heard this slows them down, at least for a moment. But yah, the BSFL should be better. :D

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
charmander16":fkl7b4h0 said:
The BSFLs will be good. I also find that when I dust them heavily with calcium or vitamins that slows them down as well.

Sorry, didn't realize you already commented :lol: My computer didn't show your post until AFTER I posted mine

clsullivanak3

Original Poster
Thanks! I'll try shaking the crickets up a little bit more. Apparently it's going to take until next week to get the BSFL. I'll try crickets again when I get back home tonight. Otherwise, I might try little roaches tomorrow.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, shaking slows down the crix as Jess pets mentioned, but only if you do it in a plastic container or jar. Shake them until they're slightly crippled and they move slowly. Do it with a few at a time so the baby can grab them as he wants and not be overwhelmed by masses of them. After he eats 5-6, add more until he loses interest.

leslie179

What i do is that i pinch off the hind legs so the crickets cant jump and that the hooks of the hind leg wont scrape my beardies inside or mouth. u can maybe try poo utting them in the fridge to slow their action or give them more shakes so theyre dizzy :D

clsullivanak3

Original Poster
Alrighty, shaking them up worked wonders. I fed him during my lunch hour. He only ate 3 though. After a few crickets, he always wants out of the feed box or loses interest. Maybe he's not use to it yet. But at least he's able to eat something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom