Discolored tail: Update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

emilybortz

Hatchling Member
While giving Pebbles her phoenix worms today, I noticed a weird discoloration on her tail(black and white). It's stiff to the touch, and I'm worried. She's got another vet checkup on the 20th, so I'm going to get it checked out, but what do you guys think? Im scared that itll fall off. She's healthy, kept in a clean environment, and has a proper diet. What usually causes these things? (She had the very end of her tail nipped off as a baby, but it hasn't caused any problems as of yet.)

Picture12-8.png

Picture13-7.png

It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all, but I'm scared. What should I do in the meantime?
Any info appreciated.

Emily

emilybortz

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I've put some topical antibiotic ointment on her tail and loosely wrapped it in gauze. She's just hanging out in her little makeshift sick bed, poor thing. At least she doesn't seem to mind it.

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Could she have been bitten by another beardie or anything? Is it possible to get your vet appt moved up to a nearer date?

emilybortz

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I spoke to the vet today and she said that it may be gangrene in which case we'd have to amputate that part of her tail.
I sent her the pics and she said that it's in its early stages and its good that we found it as soon as we did. She suggested hydrogen peroxide and keeping Pebbles in very warm temps till her appt, but said that it was nothing urgent and that we'd be fine in the meantime.
I'm still being a worried mama though. :(

Pleaides

Juvie Member
aww bless her and her poor lil tail. my Venus only has half her tail too.
keep us posted on how the vet visit goes!
good luck!
:D

peera

Sub-Adult Member
I don't remember why, but I know the Mods advise hydrogen peroxide should never be used on a dragon. I think it hurts the living tissue?

edit- Sekhautet's beardie Jasper lost his entire tail because H.P. was used on it.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Please don't put peroxide on it. It will eat away at the flesh. Jasper's Mom had a dragon who had to have his whole tail amputated after the previous owners tried to treat his tail with hydrogen peroxide. (You'd have to ask her for specific details, but I think that's what I remember her saying.)

Just put triple antibiotic ointment on it until you can get him into the vet.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
emilybortz":5f3fa said:
I spoke to the vet today and she said that it may be gangrene in which case we'd have to amputate that part of her tail.
I sent her the pics and she said that it's in its early stages and its good that we found it as soon as we did. She suggested hydrogen peroxide and keeping Pebbles in very warm temps till her appt, but said that it was nothing urgent and that we'd be fine in the meantime.
I'm still being a worried mama though. :(

The fact that your vet suggested hydrogen peroxide scares me. Hydrogen Peroxide is toxic to beardies, it will destroy all their skales, the bad as well as the good ones. You can pm jaspers mom for confirmation but her beardie, Jasper who died several months ago, lost all his tail because his former owners put it on his tail and it destroyed all the tail and he lost the whole tail. Don't use peroxide on your beardie, anywhere. Yes, he can live without the tail but he won't be able to move as well as he will with the tail. Put triple antibotic ointment on his tail or try to put aloe vera plant, just pull of a leaf and cut it open and rub the inside of the plant on that part of his tail.

Valex

Hatchling Member
While it shouldn't be used in normal cases, I think* gangrene is one of those things that spreads very easily, and effects all surrounding tissue. So it might be a necesity to kill the virus/fungus/disease, and where it could be spreading without visual symptoms. I'm not saying that its right to use, but their might be a bigger reason in the picture. *might*
Please excuse any incorrect information
Note: It does the same thing to our skin, killing both good and bad exposed tissue. Of course on a lesser scale.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have to agree that using hydrogen peroxide is not a good idea, it can eat away at the good & bad skin. To be safer, you could soak him in a Betadine bath, add enough to make it look like weak tea then blot him dry and apply a triple antibiotic like Neosporin. Please keep us updated.

emilybortz

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, only neosporin thus far. I think I'll just wait till the vet visit to do anything more due to so much conflicting info.
I will keep everyone posted. It doesn't seem to have spread or gotten worse since yesterday so I'm just going to wait these 9 days out.
:?

emilybortz

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
T-minus 3 days till her vet appt.
I've been applying neosporin to her tail and covering it in gauze to keep it clean, and she actually squirmed in pain today when I dabbed it on the little sore on the tip of her tail which is actually a GOOD thing since it means that she still has nerve endings down there and the entire thing isnt dead tissue.
She's been eating and drinking normally, and is being a really good sport about her ailment. Here she is today being sleepy on my bed (its been consistent 100+ degree weather lately, so the beardies are just loving it. ) :

IMG_0782.jpg

IMG_0781.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom