Discolored/Mottled Spots

Meli

Original Poster
Hi there! This is my first post and I'm doing it in a hurry, so forgive me if I flub some rules ;w;
I'll also fill out the beardie stuff on my profile when I get a chance, but this question doesn't pertain to enclosure and stuff (I'm confident in that at least)

My little beardie. Attie, recently went through a partial shed. Trunk and tummy primarily. It was clean and easy and didn't seem like she had any trouble (other than being grumpy cuz itchy)
This past week however, I've noticed some darker spots on her tummy that have me worried. Some friends who are keepers have told me that she should be okay, but I wanted to check outside them to be sure!

20240426_121647.jpg
20240424_134251.jpg

She's showing no signs of illness, basks normally and her temps are fine. She's in a tank with substrate and sand and does like to dig a bit. She hasn't lost any weight either and remains quite alert.

So.. Anyone have any clarification on this? I worry for the little critter ;w;

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi there! This is my first post and I'm doing it in a hurry, so forgive me if I flub some rules ;w;
I'll also fill out the beardie stuff on my profile when I get a chance, but this question doesn't pertain to enclosure and stuff (I'm confident in that at least)

My little beardie. Attie, recently went through a partial shed. Trunk and tummy primarily. It was clean and easy and didn't seem like she had any trouble (other than being grumpy cuz itchy)
This past week however, I've noticed some darker spots on her tummy that have me worried. Some friends who are keepers have told me that she should be okay, but I wanted to check outside them to be sure!

View attachment 89166 View attachment 89167

She's showing no signs of illness, basks normally and her temps are fine. She's in a tank with substrate and sand and does like to dig a bit. She hasn't lost any weight either and remains quite alert.

So.. Anyone have any clarification on this? I worry for the little critter ;w;
It looks like dirt or substrate stain --- gonna have AHBD take a look
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, is the substrate damp at all ? Just wondering if that might have discolored the scales. Can you post a few pics of where she digs at and the enclosure ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It doesn't look damp so I don't think that's the cause. BTW, in your first post with the 2 pics of her belly the bottom one looks like it's much discolored less than the top pic. Is that so ?

Meli

Original Poster
It doesn't look damp so I don't think that's the cause. BTW, in your first post with the 2 pics of her belly the bottom one looks like it's much discolored less than the top pic. Is that so ?
Yep! The first two photos would be in reverse order. So the less discolored sections are earlier this week. The change is why it worried me originally, but it hasn't advanced past that point so far.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It should be fine. If it gets worse at all you can start soaking her in a warm, shallow betadine/water mix [ about 1 part betadine to 10 parts water ] for about 10 minutes every other day. Then pat dry completely before returning to the tank. If you do soak her, do it at least a few hours before the lights + heat go off, you want her to dry off and not have any wetness on her belly before she settles in the substrate.

Meli

Original Poster
It should be fine. If it gets worse at all you can start soaking her in a warm, shallow betadine/water mix [ about 1 part betadine to 10 parts water ] for about 10 minutes every other day. Then pat dry completely before returning to the tank. If you do soak her, do it at least a few hours before the lights + heat go off, you want her to dry off and not have any wetness on her belly before she settles in the substrate.
Oki doki! I appreciate the insight. I've had her a for a while and this is the first time she's had any sort of oddity pop up. Very healthy lil critter.

Any other tips or such you feel might be good for a first time keeper? I've had her about a year but it's always good to learn, and this space looks to be a real good resource.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds good ! Has she ever laid eggs ? She has a chubby belly so just curious if she might be carrying some. They can lay infertile eggs so if she starts digging intently that could be why. Otherwise she might be eating just a little bit too much, that can be adjusted easily by reducing the amount of insects . Greens are full of nutrition so offer collards, mustard, turnip, kale , some spring mix, arugula.

Meli

Original Poster
Sounds good ! Has she ever laid eggs ? She has a chubby belly so just curious if she might be carrying some. They can lay infertile eggs so if she starts digging intently that could be why. Otherwise she might be eating just a little bit too much, that can be adjusted easily by reducing the amount of insects . Greens are full of nutrition so offer collards, mustard, turnip, kale , some spring mix, arugula.
She hasn't! She does like to dig, but not expansively. Her belly is indeed chubby because she ate quite a bit earlier today; half a scrambled egg and some clover+rose petal (we have a lot of clover and a lot of rose, grown in garden and free of pesticides and such)

Other than that, I typically offer her kale and spring mix, cuz they're easy to come across. Blackberries for treats sometimes!

I'm also trying to get her used to a harness, any thoughts on that?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, that's all good nutritious stuff, my dragons love the clover + dandelion from outside as well. Go easy on the eggs, they are pretty high in fat . Maybe cut that to no more than 1/4 of an egg rather than a half. As for a harness, I've never used one for any of my dragons. My back yard has a 6' privacy fence and at times I sit out there with them or put them in a cage . I have 2 now but used to have more, they would hang out on my back breezeway too.

1714268446851.jpg

1714268510004.jpg

Meli

Original Poster
O.K, that's all good nutritious stuff, my dragons love the clover + dandelion from outside as well. Go easy on the eggs, they are pretty high in fat . Maybe cut that to no more than 1/4 of an egg rather than a half. As for a harness, I've never used one for any of my dragons. My back yard has a 6' privacy fence and at times I sit out there with them or put them in a cage . I have 2 now but used to have more, they would hang out on my back breezeway too.

View attachment 89220
View attachment 89221
Awww, the sweet lil critters! I love that photo with their little boxes and the group basking. That cage looks like a real good climb too.
Happy beans~

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom