Dino's YF... Rest Easy my Lil' Friend :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Poor Dino, are you keeping her in her condo, or is she going back into the hospital tank. It's so sad to know there's a big fight coming on, that YF is a terrible disease. We're all fighting for you and Dino, Sue, lots of healing thoughts and hugs coming your way!
Deb

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi Deb, I' gonna keep her in the big tank for now. Her other eye is becoming infected. If they don't start to clear up soon, I may have to move her to the hospital tank just until that gets cleared up. As far as treating the fungus goes, she can stay in her big one. Just have to take out the wood stuff. Her bridge is the only thing thats wood. I have a big plastic turtle hut that looks like a hollowed out 1/2 log. I'm gonna put that in it's place. It's almost as high as the bridge so, I think that will work out fine. Her face is itchy today. She's squirming trying to "scratch" it on everything. Woods gotta go!!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Glad you're able to keep her in the big tank, for now at least. I'm so sorry that her eyes are getting infected. Poor Dino, but I am very glad she gained weight during the time she felt better. Oh my, Sue, I know you'll be able to get her well again. It's just so annoying that the YF came back :angry5: But if anyone can get it gone, it would be you and Dino. Wish I could help!

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
:love5: Thanks Deb! If there can be any "bright side" to any of this, I guess the fact that it's early on and we know how to treat it, is it! So keeping that in mind, I am hopeful that things will be a little easier this time around. Hopefully no crazy debriding will have to be done!!! That was the worst!! :shock:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Well, fingers crossed you don't have to do any of that this time...day by day...lots of hugs to you both!

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi guys, just wanted to give you an update... I took the wood bridge out of her tank and bought her a big ceramic cave thing for her to perch on. She seems to like it. It's little higher than her bridge was set. Higher is warmer so that's good for her right now too, to have the temps higher where she's basking. I've been giving her the VC along with using the ointment in BOTH eyes now. It's spread to the other side now too. (I dunno if I told you guys that or not.) I've been mixing Manuka honey with saline eye rinse and have been using that to rinse the eyes before I put the ointment on them. I also mist her face/eye/mouth area with it, where the fungus is breaking out. It was starting to have that rotting flesh smell again but I didn't really smell it today. So, that's good. There doesn't seem to be any other new spots starting. So it's still face, foot and shoulder. I haven't seen anything new starting. Hopefully it stays that way. Oh, that funky ear has a spot nearby too. That's been there a while too. She hasn't had much of an appetite for about 3 or 4 days. I got her to eat a few supers during the week and one today. So back to syringe feedings. I have Critical Care. I put a teeny sprinkle of calcium and niacin in there (Tracie suggested niacin before in case you were wondering where I heard that). I put some Manuka honey and Bene-bac in there too. And my daughter is still battling this stomach thing. GI doc thinks it's Post Infectious IBD. She had a stomach virus way back at the beginning of this whole nightmare which could be the reason why she's having all this trouble. She's probably gonna need a colonoscopy (she had one before about 3 years ago). So I'm pretty much mentally exhausted right now. My mind is always going going going... :roll:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Me, too, Sue. I'm so sorry your daughter has been affected by that virus so badly, darned things. And Dino, too, sounds like it's getting a bit better if there was no smell today. I feel for you so much, wish I could help. Sending healing thought to you all.

shara

SpikesAgirl":135atibm said:
Oh, that funky ear has a spot nearby too. That's been there a while too.

Hi! Glad to see the update. I hope Dino mends quickly (sounds odd, I know YF healing is never quick. But I can hope anyway!)... and I hope Dino feels a lot better soon, as well as your human baby!

I am wondering about Dino's ear. What's going on with her ear hole, is it dark and peeling? I don't remember reading about this. Napoleon's has been dark with flaky skin in it since her YF started. The vet said it was okay and tried picking bits of the skin out of there. That was in January and it's still not changed much.

Thank you again for update and best wishes for speedy recoveries,
Shara and sleeping Napoleon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I sure hope everything turns out O.K. I know your head is in a whirl....taking care of sick people + pets is so draining because you just hate to see them suffer and you are emotionally + physically drained. Hang in there Sue ! I sure hope your daughter recovers from this G.I distress. No fun for a young person , I feel so bad for you both ! If you don't mind, I have a suggestion to ease her nausea. Something you might try for your daughter, this works surprisingly well and pretty quickly whenever I have an upset stomach. I use real powdered ginger , the kind you just get from the spice aisle in any grocery store, and put about 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon in a glass of ginger ale and mix it up a little. I add a little water so it's not so sweet....it knocks out nausea pretty good. Again, just a suggestion, I hope it might be some help. Make sure you get some rest for yourself....I hope things ease up for you all.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sue,

Poor Dino! I was hoping she was all finished with meds...
How is she doing now, did her appetite improve any yet? I hope so. At least now you know what to do & the areas were caught quickly.
I can't believe she would still have any fungus left, internally after all of the oral meds??

Tracie

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hi guys,
Sorry I've haven't updated. Been a little distracted with everything going on. Well, my daughter is feeling better finally. She has been back in school regularly and last Thursday and Friday she made it in ON TIME. I don't think her first period teacher has seen her since MARCH. Well, that class is being dropped anyway. No sense in even trying to pass that one. Anyway, her finals start this Thursday. I am hoping and praying she has caught up enough to pass them. She still has a lot of 4th quarter work to pass in. We are hoping she gets enough done to pass and graduate. Walking on eggshells around here lately and it's been extremely stressful. She went to Senior Prom Friday and looked so beautiful. She flew solo. There were quite a few single ladies this year! Good for them! Some of them have finally figured out they don't need a boyfriend and can stand alone!

On to Dino... Well, she's not doing well. :( She isn't breaking out with any new sores, the ones she has don't seem to be getting worse however, now she is breathing funny and both of her eyes are still infected. She hasn't been eating. I've been syringe feeding her but she's lost over 40 grams since last months vet visit. Today her stool was loose/runny. I'm wondering if this is a sign that her body can't do this anymore. Depending on what the vet says Wednesday, I think a hard decision is going to have to be made. Her quality of life is nil right now. The "Voice of Reason" spoke to me today and I didn't cry. I think that's a sign too, that maybe "it's time". What I want is for her to be better and healthy but, what's happening is she is deteriorating before my eyes... rapidly. She was only off the meds for 2 weeks and BAM, it came back full on. I don't want to start loading her already weak system up with all kinds of medicines again. If she has an RI, that's gonna mean antibiotics/probiotics/continued syring feedings. She can't see right now. The ointment isn't working. It probably hurts like hell. She is suffering. I am contributing to her suffering if I keep going. It's just not fair to Dino. I talked to my son about it, he feels the same. He understands. He sees her suffering too. And then he said to me, "Didn't Spike die right around your birthday too?" Yes, she did, 3 years ago, May 29th. I buried her on my birthday. Weird. Typing this, I just realized that Dino's appointment is on Spike's anniversary. :? So, appointment Wednesday. I will be sure to update you. I know you guys love Dino too... I won't keep you waiting, I promise. Her appointment is at 4:30.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Sue,

I can't even imagine what you are going through, :cry:
You have done everything humanly possible to get her better. She has had such a wonderful life with you. Dino would not have made it this far without you & her spirit & will to live has been so strong.
We are all here for you & am so sorry you are having to go through this. I will be thinking of you & Dino through this time.

Tracie

shara

Ditto everything Tracie said... it was perfectly stated.

Sincerely hoping Dino gets well as soon as possible,
Shara and Napoleon

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I am so sorry to hear about Dino hun. I know you have done everything you can for Dino and I'm sure she knows it also. I may not have the right to say this but, I'm going to anyway. There comes a time when an animal will let you know they have had enough and just cannot continue the way they are going. You have done everything you can and so has Dino. Sometimes its best to let them go especially when their little bodies just cant take anymore and I honestly believe they hang on because its expected of them to. no matter what they may feel or a look in their eyes. I say this out of love and don't mean any harm you know that. I believe she is telling you its time for her to be let go. I know it hurts to hear this and I have been pulling for you and Dino since I first came here and it hurts me to say it to you. I know she has an appointment on Wednesday and I am afraid the vet may tell you the same. My heart breaks for you having to make this decision based on her appointment but whatever you decide, I will be here for you and Dino! Just know my prayers are with you no matter what you decide. HUGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom