Digging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
Im not majorly concerned because he is happy in him self, and is being completely normal as far as he goes, but just last few days he is digging a lot!! I mean for up to an hour then basks, then returns to dig? why is this, I have included a link to a short video I done. I know they dig sometimes to bask in comfort and also just before brumation, but he is on the warm side but also not where is it warm enough o bask? He is a bit of a basket case lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8tUBoRdqws

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Pretty sure I'll post a pic tomorrow but for me there is definitely 2 bumps at the bas of the tail

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
He's a handsome fellow. It looks to me like he is trying to make a warm snug hideaway behind his furniture. I might try adjusting the decor so he can squeeze his whole self in there, if that's what he wants to do. Pepper likes to wedge himself up between his logs and looks a bit like that all smooshed up and weird.

He's just doing what comes naturally to him, digging is a natural behavior and probably more common than many people think. I've read of many dragons that when offered a substrate that will hold a burrow (soil mix) they do just that. Pepper would dig out a little cave under his basking rock (where it was about 85F) and hang out there. Burrows can be useful for humidity and temperature regulation, hiding and enrichment.

Of course, assuming he is male. Females are the same with the addition of digging to lay their eggs.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yeah I'm pretty positive it's a he, and sir many months now after lights out he digs a bit of a hole to sleep in, so I'm sure its just a comfort thIng? I will move it a bit so he can get in there, also he is moving viv next week, got a much larger custom jobby for him, I'm sure I'm more excited than he is, as I'm sure he is unaware even though I have told him many times lol, but I have started taking bits out one rock at a time each day so I can get the new viv set up quicker on the day for him, rather than cleaning everything on the day, it will take far too long, so it's starting to look a bit barren in there compared to usual so he could be trying to take cover?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
MyBilbo":il6685cp said:
Yeah I'm pretty positive it's a he, and sir many months now after lights out he digs a bit of a hole to sleep in, so I'm sure its just a comfort thIng? I will move it a bit so he can get in there, also he is moving viv next week, got a much larger custom jobby for him, I'm sure I'm more excited than he is, as I'm sure he is unaware even though I have told him many times lol, but I have started taking bits out one rock at a time each day so I can get the new viv set up quicker on the day for him, rather than cleaning everything on the day, it will take far too long, so it's starting to look a bit barren in there compared to usual so he could be trying to take cover?

That's great about the new viv, I sure he will like it once he moves in. :) If there is less cover than he is used to its quite possiblehe is just trying to feel hidden. I think Pepper was digging under his rock to feel more aecure from our cat. His cage is taller now so he hangs out up above the cat, lol.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He has lost his hide, climbing wall, log and a bunch of rocks so far so I'm I'm surprised, still a load of rocks and a plant to come out, my plan is to get the light fitted in the new viv, then at night on lights out take out his thermostat, fit that to the new viv along with the climbing wall then early morning before heater will come on fit that, whilst it's cold, then it's just a case of taking the old viv and putting new one in, should be straight forward enough, I went to see it today, it's beautifully made, I was a bit annoyed I could take it then and there, dam car cost me a bomb this month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom