Digging? (And other assorted questions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjhab24

Hello! First of all, an update:

Sarge, who I got from Barbara, is doing very well, is a happy beardie, and everyone loves him. Kim is now about a year old, she was sick when she was little (had worms from the pet store) but since taking her to the vet she is doing remarkable now. For a dragon that was still 5 inches long when she was 3-4 months old and now shes over a foot, I think she is much better, and I'm very happy.

I have a question about Kim. You have all served me very well in the past, and I haven't had to ask any questions for a long time due to your guidance, of which I'm thankful. Kim for some reason, keeps trying to dig everywhere. I have the reptile carpet for her so she can't really dig, but she tries to, and she's doing it right now. She's been "digging" all day, pacing around her home, trying to dig under her basking logs, under her cave, and now she's just trying to dig everywhere throughout the enclosure. Is she alright? I've never seen her do this before, and she's acting a little odd. Like if I hear her digging I go look at her and she stops and just stares at me, and won't dig again until I leave or until she doesn't see me watching.

While I'm at it, another thing I was wondering. Will Bearded Dragons eat too much given the opportunity? I've always fed my dragons as much food as they wanted but Kim seems to be getting a little fat. She's pooping regularly and seems to be having no digestive problems at all. Besides a grape she didn't seem to like, she's pooping a lot, and often. She just seems to be getting a little chubby. I was just wondering if maybe I'm giving her too much food, or if dragons know how much they need to eat and just stop eating when they aren't hungry (which Kim always just seemed to do, and still seems to do)

One final question, sorry I keep adding them. I was curious, do you think Kim will keep growing? She's been growing really fast ever since she's gotten better and I hope she continues to grow and be happy and healthy. I heard that they stopped growing after about a year, I was wondering if maybe she's done now, even though she is still small for an adult bearded dragon

RockyPlusBen

Hatchling Member
Usually females will do this to prepare for egg laying, even if they don't have any eggs. It's just in their nature I guess. Either this or it's going into bermation and trying to get itself comfortable I guess? Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

RockyPlusBen

Hatchling Member
When they are still growing you should feed them as much as they want whenever they want. When they stop growing you could cut down on how much they eat because they probably won't be as hungry as they were when they were growing. Still feed them regularly, just not AS much as you would when they are growing.

Ben

cjhab24

Original Poster
I put in a hand towel for her to snuggle in and "dig" in thinking she'd like it. She just ended up pooping on it (even though she had her bath that day and decided not to poop in the tub for some reason). Maybe I'll put another one in? I just figured she didn't like it

RockyPlusBen

Hatchling Member
Lol "This is what I think of this" ... Anyway, I say just let her dig even though there's no way she can get anywhere by digging. Don't put sand in because it is not good for the beardies to ingest it.
I'm pretty sure they do this to prepare for laying eggs so this should pass. It's just something they do. If it doesn't pass then idk. It will definitely dull down those nails! :)

RockyPlusBen

Hatchling Member
Sorry, I didn't see your final question until now.

Yeah, they will usually stop growing after a year. The females are typically smaller than the males averaging at about 18-19 inches.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom