Dig Box- Sensory 8mo old

Shana

Original Poster
My question- is 8-10 months old too early to introduce a dig box for my female beardie as a sensory and enhancement?
I’m planning to use. Play sand and top soil mix free of any harmful agents in a plastic tub about 8 inches higher, with 5 to 6 inches of substrate.

Side note- we bought her from petsmart (she looked horrible and I couldn’t leave her so we brought her home) so based on their info she is around 8 months. She’s about 17 inches long and weighs 310 grams so I (and the vet) believe she’s more on the 10 -11 month mark.

Our female beardie got a taste of the free roam life recently and now has the zoomies! She tries to climb the viv walls, prances back and forth, driving me and herself crazy. When doing this she has no stress marks and I’ve never seen her with a black beard, ever. This behavior started right after her first travel experience. She does great with traveling and loves it, we are able to let her roam when visiting family. We are in the process of relocating and are moving into a new place in a few months. But in the interim living with my husbands parents so she can’t free roam. I do let her out a lot lately but I’m headed back to work and won’t be able to as frequently.

Her temps are perfect:ambient, basking and cool. Her UVB is a Reptisun T5 HO 10.0.
She’s in a 68 gallon tank, uses her hides in a normal fashion, basks, etc.
Eating great! Veggies (greens and toppers) and protein (dubias mostly) and a hornworm here and there as a treat.
Calcium 1 feeding 6 times per week
Multi vitamin 1 feeding 1 times per week
Has been to a vet and examined, very healthy!
She isn’t digging with this behavior, only digs at night before bed.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
As they get older/bigger they don't try to taste everything as enthusiastically as when babies, when they slow down licking on everything is when a big box starts to be good enrichment.

Shana

Original Poster
As they get older/bigger they don't try to taste everything as enthusiastically as when babies, when they slow down licking on everything is when a big box starts to be good enrichment.

Thank you! I read that online but I don’t typically trust all that I read and this group has been so much help! She doesn’t lick as much at all so we will give it a go and I’ll monitor her at first.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Post pixs if her first time seeing it maybe. I bet she gets her 4 wheel drive 🚗 going pretty quickly 😁

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom