Different looking dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
So I have noticed that I have had a few of my dubias look just a bit different than the others. I do know that they shed and exoskeleton and that they are white for a bit. I have seperated and kept an eye on the ones the have different coloring, and it is simply that they are colored different and not going through the change from shedding.
I don't know why, or what anyone can tell me about it, but I am curious to see if there is any info on the matter. I am just curious as to if anyone else has these different colored ones, why/how it would happen, what does it mean - if anything?, and anything else. Here is a couple of pics to explain what I mean....

"Normal looking one":
3113826692_d0a3f54e9f.jpg

3113826666_d9220592d0.jpg

Different colored one:
dec08%20021%20copy.jpg

beardiebandit

Hatchling Member
from what ive noticed the ones with the white edging are ones that are still fresh shedds. their exo skeleton is still hardening. the first pic is a nymph that is just not a mature adult yet. the second pic is a mature female.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I understand and know what you all are saying, but the particular one in the pic has been moved and seperated. It has been that way for some time. Is it possible that one or two just stay that color?

bigmac1

Juvie Member
i believe that it takes time for the shell to darken it does not change overnight it takes a while before it completely changes.

patrickb

Juvie Member
Color variations in roach species is quite common. The same species from the exact same location can have widly varying colors. This is one thing that makes identifying certain species (Blaberus genus in particular) through visual means impossible. You just get some more color variety for your critters. ;)

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
I have seen quite a significant color variation in mine as well. I have some that are almost solid black and some that look like bumblebees with their bright stripes. The light edges will eventually darken and/or turn orange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harobuilt
Top Bottom