Difference in fixtures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
After a trip to Walmart yesterday I started to wonder about something.

I am wondering not about the bulbs used to heat or give UVB, but the actual fixtures used. At Walmart a tube fixture twice the size of the one I have is only ten bucks! I have a 15" now and it was like at least $20, plus the UVB tubes are at least $20. As long as I don't use over the wattage, if I were to purchase one of these bigger, regular light fixtures and put a UVB tube light in it - would that be okay?
The same question comes to mind for the other types of bulbs. A fixture of up to 250W at Walmart is again like $8, a fixture of up to 150W is like $20 at work. Can I by the Walmart fixture?
I mean they overall seem like the same thing, right? And, I am only talking about changing the fixture not the bulbs needed to be used for beardies.

Thanks=)

LQDragons

Juvie Member
you can use any fixture thats rated for the lamp you want to use. If you have any doubts or questions about a specific fixture or other electrical questions, hit me up. I'm an electrician by trade, with over 25 years experience. You can PM me, or post it up & I'll do my best to answer

dolphinsilversea01

Juvie Member
Original Poster
LQDragons":6bb43 said:
you can use any fixture thats rated for the lamp you want to use.

This pretty much just meaning wattage right?
But other than this, there is really no difference other than brand name and where sold?
I figured this much and I have seen different fixtures in pics of vivs posted throughout here, I just want to be sure and safe rather than sorry!

LQDragons

Juvie Member
dolphinsilversea01":ad99f said:
LQDragons":ad99f said:
you can use any fixture thats rated for the lamp you want to use.

This pretty much just meaning wattage right?
But other than this, there is really no difference other than brand name and where sold?
I figured this much and I have seen different fixtures in pics of vivs posted throughout here, I just want to be sure and safe rather than sorry!
no, if you want to use a 36" Reptisun 10.0 T-12 lamp, you cannot use a fluorescent fixture that is for a 36" T-8 lamp . And you really want to stay away from fixtures that have a starter. They don't seem to last as long as the newer electronic ballasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom