did we just screw up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I guess lots of people find message boards a little late. the books we have read about bearded dragons recommended sand. we just put sand in the tank and now he is licking it. :banghead:

He is about 6-7 months old.

is this normal as they get adjusted to sand?

is this an urgent situation?

he's up on his rock now.

it is the calcium sand. of course we got 2 huge $19 bags of it. I am going to read up on the threads about what people recommend for the tank, but right now, I just want to see if anyone has an opinion about what I should do for the immediate future, should he continue to lick.

thanks in advance. wish I had found this site earlier.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
The calcium will encourage him to keep eating the sand, so he probably won't stop. Remove it and replace it with tile (my favorite), non-adhesive shelf liner, repti-carpet, paper towel, or newspaper. I'm assuming you haven't opened at least one bag, so you can probably return it. It really is sad that people don't know they shouldn't usually listen to the pet store people since they very seldom have training in specific animals, and even when they do it's often hopelessly out of date. I'm glad you found us before your little guy got impacted by the death sand.

Mastersmom

Original Poster
Thankyou. We just vacumed all the sand up.

He was biting on his rock then we read your post, so we decided to take it out.

We are going back to get a refund.

Thanks again! :blob8:
[/size]

Embee

Gray-bearded Member
Just wanted to say sorry that happened. Same thing happened with us, pet store said, Calci-Sand YES YES YES, only to find out, Uh-uh. :roll: We replaced it the day after we got our beardie, all was fine. Sadly, that was just the first thing in a string of expensive mistakes (bad advice) for us, that have since (thanks to the boards here) been corrected. *sigh*

Fantastic that you're going to get a refund!!

The best,
Em

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom