Dewey's Making Weird Noises

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Dewey's been brumating, or what appears to be brumating, for the past few weeks now. I've been bathing him at least once a week which I'm now thinking was not nearly enough for him.

When I woke him up today to bathe him all was fine until he made this weird noise. It sounded like a growl or like he was snoring. At first I honestly thought my puppy was snoring, but it was coming from Dewey's viv so I realized it was him. When he first did it I watched him for several minutes. He'd puff out his beard and then he'd make that sound again. It's almost like his throat is dry or like something's irritating it. He's alert and he enjoyed his bath, but he keeps making those weird noises which is worrying to me. He did drink a LITTLE bit while he was in his bath and I just used a syringe to get a little bit more water into him.

Could this be dehydration? I don't think it's a URI because his cage has always registered the same temps and the humidity is always within the recommended range. Any ideas?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm wondering if he may have possibly aspirated some water. A sleepy animal or human is more likely to not have their normal reflexes and awareness. I never wake mine for water, I only give them water if they themselves wake up. Hopefully it's nothing serious.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'm getting pretty scared now. :(

I've been doing more reading and it sounds like it could be pneumonia or a severe URI. I don't understand how he could've gotten either though. It hasn't been to humid or to cold, in fact just the opposite. We've had a very mild winter so far.

I'll be calling the vet tomorrow, but don't know if I'll be able to get him in because of a snow storm we're getting. I'm going to do everything I can to get him in though.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, when I checked on Dewey this morning he was sleeping. I kind of poked him until he cracked an eye just so I could see he was still alive. He gave me a stink eye and then wedged himself into the corner to go back to sleep. If this is pneumonia or even a severe URI, would he be able to sleep or would he be up wheezing and caughing all night? I am super freaked out about this now. I don't want to lose him. I have a call into his vet's office, but his Dr isn't due in for another hour or so. The roads are a real mess out here today thanks to snow which is expected to change over to freezing rain so I don't think I'll be able to get him in today. I'm going to try for first thing tomorrow morning.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, our normal vet can't see him until 7pm tonight and that's when the roads will be icing over. The Dr's out tomorrow through the weekend so that time slot was my only option. One of my coworkers has a beardie and goes to a different exotic vet who is local so I called them and got an appt set up for 2:30pm. At least now I know he'll get help sooner. I'll post an update later.

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Well, I don't know if anyone's even reading this post or not, but felt I should post an update just in case it will help someone in the future.

We went to see a new vet this afternoon and during the exam the vet found Dewey to have some swelling of his trachea along with some fluid build up. She sent us home with some Ciprofloxacin. She feels he'll be fine once the meds kick in. He had his first dose earlier today.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Well, I don't know if anyone's even reading this post or not, but felt I should post an update just in case it will help someone in the future.

We went to see a new vet this afternoon and during the exam the vet found Dewey to have some swelling of his trachea along with some fluid build up

I am indeed reading this post and appreciate any information that is added to this site. I am however sad to hear about Dewey having the swelling of his trachea and some fluid build up. Did the vet say if this was from a bathing incident or something? It is great that it is treatable! :) Please keep us posted on how Dewey is doing. Sending my thoughts and prayers -Carrie

athenacp

Extreme Poster
I have been reading, just didn't have anything to say that coild help, glad he went to the vet and hope he gets better soon!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi D.M., I'm glad you acted quickly and got the needed meds., and sounds like vet gave a good prognosis. There is something called aspiration pneumonia, it happens to people as well as animals, that may be what happened since he was in the bath and given some water while he was sleepy. Hopefully he will pull right through this !

DeweysMom

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Would that aspiration pneumonia happen so quickly though? He had his bath literally about 2 hours before he started wheezing. That just seems to be awful quick to come down with something so serious.

He had his first dose of meds yesterday and he was starting to move around this morning before I left for work so I'm hoping he'll be basking happily on his rock when I get home. I also hope he eats something. He hasn't eaten for about 3 weeks now (since he's been sleeping). He weighed in at 570g at the vets which is pretty good for him especially considering he hasn't eaten lately.

I'll keep posting updates on his progress.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm not sure how long it takes to develop into pneumonia, but as soon as any liquid goes down the airway, it becomes a problem, that's what the coughing + rasping indicates. If it can be " coughed out " and the animal is healthy, sometimes it doesn't progress. It sounds like Dewey is healthy and it may not have developed at all, just the sart of what could have led to the A.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sage_1207
Top Bottom