Desperate Beardie Mummy CAN BEARDIES HAVE IBS??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,
I have read all the posts from other poo related mysteries but I'm still at a loss.

I have three beautiful Beardies, 2 Girlies Morticia and Mortessa and 1 Big Bloke Mort, they live in a four foot long by two feet high by two feet deep enclosure, thermostat uv lighting basking lamp e.t.c their day time temp is between 30-33 Degrees. They have a nice Big Bath two of my adults can fit in happily and a bamboo shoot with multiple branches on which to bask and climb, they are kept on a sand/woodchip substrate and fed locusts supplimented with neutrobal 2-3 times a week, the other days they are fed fresh greens.

My boy is great but the two girlies just neer seem to do as well. I have had them (the girls arrived a year after Mort) for a year now, they have had two fecal checks and been wormed at approx 5 month intervals. They were last wormed end of November with panacur but one of my females throughout the whole time we have had her has had runny pungent stools, I know they're now due another check but no prev sample has shown more than a case of worms which we have always sorted. But like I said STILL stinky barely formed poo which to compound matters she likes to sit in. I love my girls but Ive tried changing diet, they used to reguarly have boiled veg or cucumber in their salad I removed this as soon as a good friend suggested it may be to wet a diet for her, and swapped to spring greens due to the fibre content . . no luck. and I always make sure they ave clea water and a thoroughly washed bowl everyother day, I'm at the end of my tether after a year of the realy bad messes, constant cleaning just to make her safe to handle, and worry that despite fecal checks I'm missing something to the point I'm thinking about giving her and her sister up, I know it might sound uncaring but i don't knowwhat else to try.
Anyone been in a similar situation or have any ideas???
Please help :banghead: :banghead:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry you have had so much trouble. That is a large tank you have for 3 adults.
However, have you considered that perhaps they are under too much stress? It is never recommended to house males & females together all of the time. It can stress them out. Does he try to mate with them alot?
What are the temps in the tank? What type of thermometer do you use to measure the temps?
What type & brand of UVB are you using, a flourescent tube bulb or a compact or coil light? What type of basking light do you use?
The deworming was most likely fine, but it may not be worms that are the problem. It could be coccidia or another type of parasite or protozoan. The last fecal did not show anything other than worms?
Have they ever laid fertile or infertile eggs?

Tracie

LeopardsLizards

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the replies guys, I'm new to the forum and found it in desperate hope that I might be able to make her better.
I will try and upload pics within the next few mins, the hubbys istaking some new ones now:

Ok I use a reptsun 10.0 uvb tube, 36'' It was boughtin Dec or Jan so is bout 4 mnths old max.
I use a habistat with a sensor located mid tank just above floor level.

I also use a digital thermomiter placed centrally as a method of double checking temp. please note the temp showing in the pic is low as was in the early morning as the temp was just begining to climb. day time it usually shows around 30oc to a max of 33oc.

The basking light should be visible in the pics.

My boy has always had good poops and her other sis is usually ok to inbetween.

Mating: To be honest Mort is more of a girl, than the girls lol, we have never seen him show interest/ mating behaviour as such, but the female in question did lay one batch of eggs that seem to be incubating well. these were laid back on Feb 25th. He doesn't seem to hassle them in anyway apart from a snuggle while basking, the female in question perfers to floor dwell.

They eat xtra large locusts with gusto, they all love their food.

Cocci is something I'm worried about I think I will deff get her next poo tested incase but has never sown in anything more than minute numbers, we are lucky in that our reptile vet is very well regarded we have to travel forty mins out but it's worth it.

Thanks so much for the help, hope I've answered all the questions. I really appreciate any help I dont want her to suffer in anyway through this anymore.

I almost hope it is something I'm doing wrong at least then I can rectify it.

LeopardsLizards

Original Poster
DSC00265.jpg

DSC00266.jpg

DSC00267.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom