Desperate Answers.

BabyDin0saur

Beardie name(s)
Beta
Hello all.

I adopted my baby in May from my sister/nephew. They had a little bit of a different set up than I do right now, but it seems like no matter what I do, nothing gets better. I've been struggling with lighting/temps and I keep trying different things and I just can't get it right. In turn, he goes to the vet once a month basically because he isn't pooping/active. I basically need people with my experiences advice please.

When I first adopted him, I bought him a 36x18x18. He didn't have trouble pooping in this enclosure, but he also was very active with glass surfing, and his temps were perfect all the time.

Now he is in a 4'x2'x2' since August and he WILL NOT poop. I took him to the vet in September, vet got him to poop, and he got diagnosed with pin worms. He has not pooped since, also he isn't super active in this cage like he was in the other one. Anyone know what or why this is happening?

The vet recently got him a laxative, which hasn't helped yet.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello all.

I adopted my baby in May from my sister/nephew. They had a little bit of a different set up than I do right now, but it seems like no matter what I do, nothing gets better. I've been struggling with lighting/temps and I keep trying different things and I just can't get it right. In turn, he goes to the vet once a month basically because he isn't pooping/active. I basically need people with my experiences advice please.

When I first adopted him, I bought him a 36x18x18. He didn't have trouble pooping in this enclosure, but he also was very active with glass surfing, and his temps were perfect all the time.

Now he is in a 4'x2'x2' since August and he WILL NOT poop. I took him to the vet in September, vet got him to poop, and he got diagnosed with pin worms. He has not pooped since, also he isn't super active in this cage like he was in the other one. Anyone know what or why this is happening?

The vet recently got him a laxative, which hasn't helped yet.
Please NO MORE ENEMAS --- this could be a good reason he is not pooping- so he was in last in September? What is his diet? What are the surface basking temps? They need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- uvb? Coil or long tube fixture - please stop the laxatives - start feeding either plain canned pumpkin or unsweetened applesauce baby food prunes-

BabyDin0saur

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beta
Please NO MORE ENEMAS --- this could be a good reason he is not pooping- so he was in last in September? What is his diet? What are the surface basking temps? They need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- uvb? Coil or long tube fixture - please stop the laxatives - start feeding either plain canned pumpkin or unsweetened applesauce baby food prunes-
He didn't do an enema, he just pressed his belly hard enough to get him to poop..He hasn't pooped on his own since probably July.

His diet is collard greens and dubia roaches... collared greens every day and dubia roaches 2x a week... Surface temp is 95-103 , long tube arcadia 12% inside enclosure with a LED bar... He also doesn't eat on his own anymore like he used to. I have to put it in front of him for him to eat it. Where he used to go to his bowl and eat on his own..

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He didn't do an enema, he just pressed his belly hard enough to get him to poop..He hasn't pooped on his own since probably July.

His diet is collard greens and dubia roaches... collared greens every day and dubia roaches 2x a week... Surface temp is 95-103 , long tube arcadia 12% inside enclosure with a LED bar... He also doesn't eat on his own anymore like he used to. I have to put it in front of him for him to eat it. Where he used to go to his bowl and eat on his own..
Ok so I take it the temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer which is good - the distance for your UVB is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece?? How old is the UVB bulb? If so that is good --- the LED bar has been in the tank for how long? Did you have it before you moved him into the 120 gallon? Was he eating on his own before you got the LED bar? I am trying to rule out if this is the cause for the not eating- does he look or seem like he has eye sight issues? Are you offering any other greens at all? He may be tired of the collard greens- any treat worms? Horn worms super worms meal worms ?

BabyDin0saur

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beta
Ok so I take it the temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer which is good - the distance for your UVB is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece?? How old is the UVB bulb? If so that is good --- the LED bar has been in the tank for how long? Did you have it before you moved him into the 120 gallon? Was he eating on his own before you got the LED bar? I am trying to rule out if this is the cause for the not eating- does he look or seem like he has eye sight issues? Are you offering any other greens at all? He may be tired of the collard greens- any treat worms? Horn worms super worms meal worms ?

I just changed to the Arcadia last week. It’s brand new. I had the Reptizoo HO tube with hood before that. LED I got at the same time as the UVB. He hasn’t been eating on his own since he’s been in the 4x2x2 which I put him in July. I can give him like arugula tomorrow. He loves bright colored things like peppers and bee pollen, so I don’t think his eye sight is bad. I don’t like hornworms, they get big so fast, it’s a waste. He was getting BSFL before the Dubias.

BabyDin0saur

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beta
I just changed to the Arcadia last week. It’s brand new. I had the Reptizoo HO tube with hood before that. LED I got at the same time as the UVB. He hasn’t been eating on his own since he’s been in the 4x2x2 which I put him in July. I can give him like arugula tomorrow. He loves bright colored things like peppers and bee pollen, so I don’t think his eye sight is bad. I don’t like hornworms, they get big so fast, it’s a waste. He was getting BSFL before the Dubias.
Here is his light setup, only different thing now is a double bulb dome.

Attachments

• IMG_1154.jpeg
    IMG_1154.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1153.jpeg
    IMG_1153.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 29

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Here is his light setup, only different thing now is a double bulb dome.
Ok it's good you changed the uvb reptizoo is not a good brand- I would shut the LED off give him a few days to adjust to the Arcadia - make sure your distance is what I posted - the double dome basking bulbs are what brand and why are you using 2?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I'm glad to know that you have an Arcadia tube bulb, is it the D3 12% or 14% T5?
I would recommend using a bright white basking light, such as a halogen since they do get hot &
are perfect for the heating aspect.
Did he like the arugula I hope? As suggested, try the soft foods, that may help his system out. Do
you give a good calcium supplement also?

Tracie

BabyDin0saur

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beta
Ok it's good you changed the uvb reptizoo is not a good brand- I would shut the LED off give him a few days to adjust to the Arcadia - make sure your distance is what I posted - the double dome basking bulbs are what brand and why are you using 2?
It’s a dual meaning 2 bulbs can fit in one device. I don’t like the wide domes… I feel like the dual retains heat better. I have a 100w and a 75w, it seems to get the temp just right for basking. The Arcadia/LED has been in there for a while.

BabyDin0saur

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beta
Hello,

I'm glad to know that you have an Arcadia tube bulb, is it the D3 12% or 14% T5?
I would recommend using a bright white basking light, such as a halogen since they do get hot &
are perfect for the heating aspect.
Did he like the arugula I hope? As suggested, try the soft foods, that may help his system out. Do
you give a good calcium supplement also?

Tracie
It’s the D3 12%, I dip his greens in calcium supplement, he doesn’t always take it, but I also sprinkle the bugs.

BabyDin0saur

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Beta
I would shut the LED off and make sure your distance for the UVB is 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece -- you may want to drop the UVB down to approx 13 inches
Well the basking temps are perfect. So I feel like it will start at square one again.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a great looking tank. The Arcadia D3 12% is a great bulb. As Karrie suggested, you can
safely move the UVB tube down a bit more. It sounds like he should be getting enough calcium if
he is ingesting enough insects that have been dusted.
Let us know how things are going.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom