Dehydration? HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdgal

Hatchling Member
My little Sherman (approx 3.5 months old) hasn't been eating on his own since last Thursday (that was 5 days ago!) He vomitted up undigested butterworms and collard greens and had diahrrea for a few days after. I have been syringe feeding him slurry, canned a/d (as per vet) and carnivore care (alternating meals) and he seems to be very skinny. He only eats a few licks about 4 times a day (sometimes 5 times a day). I bathe him everyday but he HATES it and doesn't last longer than 3-5 minutes. So I started to bathe him twice a day. I also gave him his first dose of Safeguard dewormer this weekend.

Today he seems more dehydrated. I pinched his skin and stayed in place longer. Also, when he is sitting in certain positions I can see that his skin seems to bunch like when I pinch it. So today I put him in the bath and then in the sun (it was actually semi-nice out today) and he sat in it for almost 15 min!! That is a record. He even dunked his head and drank a little water too.

I was at the vet on Friday. Should I go back? I am worried that he isn't eating enough (especially for a baby) and I don't know what to do. The vet did not seem very "familiar" with beardies even though she is a reptile vet. She had to refer to an exoticsvet forum on the web while I was in the appointment. Should I try to find a better reptile vet? What could they do? Why isn't he eating anymore?

What should I do? Aren't babies supposed to be prey devourers?? Am I just overparanoid like the petstore clerks seem to think I am (they said just to let him be and he will eat when hes hungry). HELP!!!!!

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Anyone? I called the vet and told them my dilemma and they told me to bring them a fecal sample. I just gave him the dewormer. Can they test for anything else in the fecal? Or just parasites?

thebigdc

I had a problem sort of like yours but mine did not last as long. My beardie seemed to run away from the crickets when I first got him. I kept a steady offering of greens in his cage every day and did mostly of the same things you did. The one thing that I did notice that helped the appetite was the right UVB lights. Are you using any of those?

LJean

Extreme Poster
If you can add some water or unflavored gatorade or pedialite to what you are feeding him, that should help some with the dehydration, along with a bath 2-3 times a day. (even if he doesn't like it much).

bdgal

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Temporary viv size: 30inches long*12 inches deep*25 inches tall
Lights: ExoTerra SolarGlo 125W MVB
Distance of MVB from Basking Spot -12.5 inches
Day Temp: Basking-108F, Middle area-95F, cool side 80-83F
Night Temps: 70-75F
IMG_4929.jpg

I have looked for unflavored pedialyte in Canada and couldn't find any. I could try a few more stores, but the pharmacies I went to didn't carry it. I will send the poop into my vet (whenever the next one is!) but can they test for anything other than parasites in it?

Is this normal to see his skin bunching like that or does that mean he is dehydrated? I thought that they absorbed water through their skin during baths...is this wrong? I have been syringe feeding him throughout the day (which is LOADED with vitamins and protein and calcium, etc) and it is also diluted with water. Hmmm.

Am I just overparanoid? If the viv was too hot...why would he bask under the MVB on the wooden log DIRECTLY under it so much? I even took him outside twice today for fresh air and REAL sunlight. Is there anything else I can be doing?

thebigdc

Yes they do soak water through their skin and it sounds like you are doing enough to me, but I may not know as much as others. Hope your beardie does ok...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom