Decoration problems!? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi long time :)

My bearded dragon viv is in need of some fairly urgent décor. She has grown out of her log and is not too wide to slide across it to reach the UVB.

I have been scouring the internet for décor but it is all far too expensive for me at the moment and for the foreseeable plus I just can’t seem to find the ideal rick/log structure that I need.

So…….i have like many others gone down the route of building a structure.
I have been researching this for about a week now and apart from the materials needed I am pretty much all set.
However all my family and friends are against it and say I shouldn’t do it.
Polystyrene is flammable and can melt and catch fire easily so in a vivarium it is very dangerous and shouldn’t be used in any circumstances! So they say.
I have tried to explain that many reptiles’ stores sell background made from polystyrene but they won’t listen.

Is it actually 100% safe? If so why is it 100% safe in terms of flammability and melting polystyrene!?

Thanks all help greatly appreciated x

clossboss

Hatchling Member
well i think the grout/sealer/paint will all help keep the styrofoam from getting hot enough to melt....alot of people have built their own rocks but i havent heard about any of them melting or anything..

prettypurplepenguin

Original Poster
Hi again. I need some more help with this!
I'm getting the things I need for this project tomorrow so really need replies as quick as possible.
I still am very confused about what materials to use exactly.
I have read countless versions of how to make this and each one seems to say a different thing.

I will be getting it all from B&Q so can someone who had experience with this give me some links showing the right stuff to get from there?

If not links just some exact info would be good e.g what to use to glue the polystyrene together what type of grout and sealant is safe ETC

Thankyou as always any help is greatly appreciated! X x

Jess

Extreme Poster
It won't melt. I use mine for a basking spot and it holds up to the 110*F temp!

It doesn't really matter what you use to glue the foam together... I just use a hot glue gun. And my favorite sealant is Mod Podge Hard Coat. It is 100% safe and non-toxic, has no fumes, and is VERY water resistant once it is cured.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
Polystyrene is used as a siding material, it has a melting point of 240 degrees Celsius: This is equivalent to 464 degrees fahrenheit. Its flash point is near 350 degrees Celsius.

There is absolutely no risk of a fire starting with this in your enclosure, you're more likely to light the actual animal on fire before you light this on fire.

prettypurplepenguin

Original Poster
Thanks again everyone I am pretty much set now apart from sealant!

Different sites say different things about what sealant to use. Air say varnish some don't others say PVA but others say its dangerous!?

What sealant can I use that's definatly safe? From the uk and not a fortune?

Thankyou x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom