Decimated my Flytrap; Question about dried bugs and others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabotender

Original Poster
I wanted to provide an update of my feeding routine:

I purchased a big bag of freeze dried black soldier fly larvae and reduced the number of mealworms that I had been feeding. To this, I added a mixture of freeze dried crickets and grasshoppers. The whole lot was separated into two piles, one has been dusted with vitamins, the other has been dusted with calcum. I alternate between the two every other day. This is the protien portion of the diet. That goes in the feeding dish every morning.

I purchased some dandilion seeds online and planted them in several pots in the windowsill. They grow extremely fast, I've mixed the leaves with store purchased rocket, kale, radish tops, courgette and mango. All the greens are hand fed, because Rusty used to hiss at me when I put my hand in the cage. I've stopped the hissing by simply stuffing her mouth with something (usually mango or cucumber) every time she decided to show me her teeth. She no longer hisses and allows me to pick her up without trying to escape all the time.

Here is a photo depicting the results of my efforts. As you can see, I have a active, alert, and healthy bearded dragon. I think the dry protien diet is just fine. Not taking to the vet until she is 1 yr of age. She is between 5-6 months old now.

Notice I refer to my dragon as female because I did the tail test and I am 80% sure I have a girl. Theres a big ol lump right under the vent, closer to the tail end, which all signs point to this.

IMG-1186.png

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She's looking pudgy lol!
Glad your setup seems to be working out for you. So does she eat her salads well?

If you want to post up a pic of the tail we can help you determine if she is in fact a she.

-Brandon

Sabotender

Original Poster
She absolutely ADORES her salads. Never once has she ever turned her nose up to them. Hmm I attempted to take pictures of her tail end but she is still a bit young and...adventurous, won't stand still long enough for me to take a photo in that position. Now that she is big enough, and too large to misplace, I've started to let her out every morning for 30 minutes so she can get some exercise. I will give it a few more months so she can settle down some more.

Those dandilions are darn near indestructible. I've completely chopped the tops off and they just spring back like its nobodys business. Apparently they are edible for humans too, but I don't have the courage to try some. Every time I look at them I think, ***DANGER, WEED ALERT***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom