Dead babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

xerioc

For the past few days babies from my 2nd clutch have started dying off. They get lethargic and stop eating then the next day or so they writhe like theyre in pain then curl their bodies backwards, the back of their head goes towards their back like some sort of yoga move, then their legs go straight out, poop comes out and they get very stiff. After a few moments they seem ok and then they just lie very still and within a few hours theyre dead. I dont know what is going on i havent seen this happen before.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
We'd need more details to help you.

What morphs are these babies? What were the parents?
How are you housing these babies?
Can you go over their setup?
How about their diet?

-Brandon

xerioc

Original Poster
I did. They are being offered crickets 2x a day and im giving them baths every other day. I have moved the ones that are left to a larger tank and they are still given their collard greens. The first clutch is doing fine now while the second is just getting smaller and smaller before when the babies from the first clutch was dying they wouldnt convulse like the second clutch has been doing.

xerioc

Original Poster
The father is an orange bearded dragon i got from a local pet store and the mother is from petco and has an extra toe on one foot she is a light orange color, both of appropriate size and weight and are fed and eat well.

xerioc

Original Poster
parents are unrelated, and they have the uvb bulb and a heat lamp that i swap between the 2 clutches a few times a day as they share a large tank with a divider between them. one has the heat lamp for a lil while then then they have the uvb for a while.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What brand uvb bulb? Is it a tube or a coil?
What are the temperatures in the tanks when the heat bulb is on...

How old are these babies?

Swapping their lights is not acceptable. Each tank needs to have their own lighting setup, you can't just give them lights for a few hours, then take it away for a few hours, and then give it back.

This is exactly the kind of bad stuff that can happen when you aren't prepared for babies, don't have the correct things in order, and are inexperienced.

I strongly urge you to spend the rest of your free time reading here and learning. Along with taking the proper steps necessary to raise hatchlings correctly. These un-needed deaths have to stop.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom