Day time temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gizmo9803

Any help is appreciated here :D I can't get my day time temps up. Yesterday (as I haven't turned on the lights yet today)basking spot was 113 which I think is good for a 6 wk old? then the cooler side is only about 82 is this right for him or do I need to get the cooler side up more. We use a regular house bulb for heat 75 watt, and a repti sun uvb 7.0 we also have an under the tank heater. I take the temps with a flash point gun. We have a sticky thermometer that stays about 72 all day so I don't think it is working properly as when I take the temps they are as stated above. we also have a needle thermometer that doesn't measure much better than that at about 80 for day. Should these be on the inside or the outside and what would you guys reccommened for theremometers? Night temps I think are good they measure between 62-65 at night. Just incase this makes a difference we have a 55 gallon tank for him.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
The temps sound just fine. Just be careful of the UTH that you are using. Also, when it time to replace your reptisun tube, go for the 10.0 next time (it is the long tube, right?) Some dragons like their basking temps up a bit higher, some don't, so if he seems happy and isn't basking ALL the time, then you should be fine.

Gizmo9803

Original Poster
Thanks I keep very close attention to the UTH so it doesn't get to hot for him on the bottom. Its not a pad UTH its the rope kind I forget the name of it. Yes it is the long tube, next time I will go with the 10 :D He doesn't bask to much at least high up on the perch he lays under the light on the bottom of the tank.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Then I would say that he is comfortable, then. Hmm.. on another thread, you say he's not eating yet? I wonder why..

Gizmo9803

Original Poster
I don't know I have tried different things but to no avail.

His temps are 110 basking and 85 on cooler today I just took them.

Evin

You should remove your under the tank heater as beardies measure their temps with top of a head (as many refer to a third eye) and there have been cases when beardies burn their belly on heat pad or heat rock as they cant feel when its too hot on their belly and when they realize its too hot, its too late

TheVirus

Hatchling Member
Evin,

The burns happen when there is a small hot spot with in the basking spot. The animals don't understand such a temp gradient in such a small area. It also happens with large lizards when there is a single basking bulb for a five foot lizard.

Evin

TheVirus":3449f said:
Evin,

The burns happen when there is a small hot spot with in the basking spot. The animals don't understand such a temp gradient in such a small area. It also happens with large lizards when there is a single basking bulb for a five foot lizard.

Many people will still not recommend the "under" heater

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, the under tank heaters can overheat which can cause them to burn their stomach. Since they sense heat from overhead, it would be quite easy for them to get burned on their stomachs. It would be fine to place the UTH on the side of the tank though.

Gizmo9803

Original Poster
Thanks for the concern about the heater but honestly I don't think it is a burn factor for him it only goes to 70 degrees. I have to have something else to help with the heat in the tank as its winter here and is very cold at the moment we are at 10 with a wind chill of -19. I won't be using it all the time as when summer comes I will take it down. If I remove the UTH his temps drop to about cold side 76 and the hot side drops about 10-15 degrees. So I need something to help with the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom