daughter wants a bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I'm new to posting on forums I apologize if I'm not doing it right.
My 10 year old REALLY wants a bearded dragon. She's been giving me all sorts of research she's done on them but I still have a few questions from experienced owners. Does anyone mind answering my questions? I've researched as well but would prefer to know what actual people that have them think. I do believe my daughter is independent enough to take care of one but of course I will be there to make sure the little guy is well taken care of. I'm sorry if my questions seem basic but I want to be sure we do this right if we end up getting one.
1) She says we should use a smaller tank at first, then get a bigger one. But wouldn't it be easier to start out with a 40 gallon tank? Or is it ok to start with such a big tank if the beardie is young/small?
2) If we get a 40 gallon tank do they sell separate screened lids? How do you attach the lights to the lid, does the lid come with spots to attach the lights to?
3) I know sand is no good for the cage, is newspaper ok? Or do we have to get the reptile carpet I see at the pet stores.
4) How should daily cleanings be done? I've read about how to do the weekly/"deep" cleanings but any advice on those as well would be appreciated.
5) How do most of you keep your live prey? I'm scared of my daughter letting crickets go all over the house. We live real close to a pet store I'm tempted to make multiple trips to get crickets lol but that probably wouldn't work! I've read mixed reviews on cricket keepers, and also that keeping crickets can be messy and smelly.

Thanks in advance for any advice given, I know not to jump into this without full knowledge of how to care for the beardie that's for sure.

halffrozen

Hatchling Member
That is awesome that you daughter wants a beardie! They are such awesome companions! Very chill and can be cuddly if handled alot/well. I hope you give them a try and fall in love with them like I have! Also, my kids LOVE Sonne and Baby AND Tamale... lol kids adore them for sure!

dancymisha":1tplkhzx said:
1) She says we should use a smaller tank at first, then get a bigger one. But wouldn't it be easier to start out with a 40 gallon tank? Or is it ok to start with such a big tank if the beardie is young/small?
I currently have two beardies with a separator(in a 40 gallon) in the middle to divide them, and they are doing fine with the space. I don't see how having a tank larger than them, can be a bad thing... I would add lots of climbing decorations to the tank. I have never had an actual baby beardie till a month ago... but they seem to be loving the tank.

2) If we get a 40 gallon tank do they sell separate screened lids? How do you attach the lights to the lid, does the lid come with spots to attach the lights to?
You can use a screen lid for sure( I don't, but alot of people do) but you will want the UVB bulb INSIDE the tank(meaning not above the screen lid) You can use either command hooks for mounting the lights, or even a light hanger fixture..

3) I know sand is no good for the cage, is newspaper ok? Or do we have to get the reptile carpet I see at the pet stores.
I use bare bottom glass till they are a little bit older, it just makes clean up so much easier. But I have used paper towels with good success, just a PITA when the beardies food gets underneath.

4) How should daily cleanings be done? I've read about how to do the weekly/"deep" cleanings but any advice on those as well would be appreciated.
They should be pooping once to twice a day depending on how well you feed. I find it easiest have a spray bottle with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water and just spot shot it daily.

5) How do most of you keep your live prey? I'm scared of my daughter letting crickets go all over the house. We live real close to a pet store I'm tempted to make multiple trips to get crickets lol but that probably wouldn't work! I've read mixed reviews on cricket keepers, and also that keeping crickets can be messy and smelly.
Like I said, I never have had babies till a few weeks ago.. While keeping Sonne(He turned one yesterday!!!! WEWT!)but I have kept Dubia Roaches(possibly one of the BEST feeders ever) but have sine then switched to Superworms(only for beardies 18" and over) BUT... I am using Reptiworms for my babies, and they LOVE them! I got 1500 for $35ish I think... directly from Reptiworms... I got the small ones. Worms are soooo much easier to keep than crickets and roaches IMHO... so long as they don't pupate(turn into a beetle or fly)

rempop

I agree on the Reptiworms/Calciworms (different brands of same larva). From an enclosures post, I learned that you could put the container/s of worms in a cooler with ice to help slowdown how long before they transform to the next stage of life. I was using cups that I filled with ice cubes twice a day until my husband took care of Blaze over a weekend and he just froze the cup of water. I was like "DOH" why didn't I think of that, now I only have to switch a cup of solid ice out once a day.

If you really think she is responsible enough, Go for it! And I totally agree about the crickets. I don't use them. I use large phoenix worms. Don't worry they aren't big. They are smaller than a quarter and we get 2 little things of them with 500 in each for about $35 dollars. But you don't have to get 1000. We just get 1000 because we have 2 bearded dragons. You have to order them offline and they come about 3-4 days later. Maybe less, Maybe more.

DTRM30

Hatchling Member
dancymisha":29fh6all said:
Hello,

I'm new to posting on forums I apologize if I'm not doing it right.
My 10 year old REALLY wants a bearded dragon. She's been giving me all sorts of research she's done on them but I still have a few questions from experienced owners. Does anyone mind answering my questions? I've researched as well but would prefer to know what actual people that have them think. I do believe my daughter is independent enough to take care of one but of course I will be there to make sure the little guy is well taken care of. I'm sorry if my questions seem basic but I want to be sure we do this right if we end up getting one.
A larger tank is fine to start with, and it will save the added expense of a second purchase and going through relocation stress again when you make the switch. If it seems too large, just use some cardboard to partition off part of the tank.
You can get a screen lid. You may have to order it, some stores carry them some don't. The regular heat light (can be just a plain ole household bulb, does not need to be the "basking light" sold in pet stores - can sit on top. The UVB lamp needs to be mounted inside the tank though. You can get a cheap $8 T8 fluorescent fixture from Walmart, and use Command hooks (Velcro sticky tape) to attach it to the glass. Use the ReptiSun 10 T8 tube. Easiest to find and recommended by most. If you go with the 40gal tank you can get a 24-36" length. Mount it above the basking site - so when he/she is basking and warming up, they are also getting UVB. Also, the bright light from the heat source bulb is important to help dialite pupils to protect their eyes from the UVB. Another option, some use and some don't. I do and have had good success - is a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB). I use a PowerSun. It gives out both UVB and heat - and all in one. But again, those have had their share of issues, so you do need to watch for eye problems when you first use or change out the bulb.
You can use newspapers (need to be changed frequently), reptile carpet, or as many here use which is closest to their natural habitat - tile. Slate, stone ....just not anything glossy/shiny/very smooth (too slippery) it helps keep their nails trimmed as well. I use 6" tiles. I just pull out the one with poop and wash it. Makes spot cleaning easy. Then once every week or two I pull them all out and scrub them down with some bleach and soap and water. Again, easy - and takes about 20 minutes to do the whole enclosure.
I just spot clean. I take out the dirty tile, wash it with soapy water, and place it back in. With reptile carpet you'll need to pick up the poop - but the spot will still remain until you wash the carpet. Newspaper will need to be changed frequently - I never used them, but I'm guessing daily.
Crickets do smell. Some don't mind - others do. I never minded. It wasn't a strong smell, but it was there. They aren't bad until they get big and start making noise. When small, they are relatively quiet. For crickets I used a spare 10g tank with a screen lid. I use FLukers calcium enriched cricket food and a sponge for a water source. If you leave a dish they will crawl in and drown. I cleaned between shippments. I ordered bulk on line - it is extremely less expensive than pet stores when the dragon will be eating close to 100 per day. Online you can get them in bulk for about .02 each including shipping costs as opposed to .10 each at the pet store. I now use superworms and reptiworms for staple foods. YOu need to wait until the dragon is 16" or larger for supers, but reptiworms (phoenix worms, calci-worms) are small and can be fed at any age. They are a great feeder if you don't mind the way they look (think baby fly larva). They are also high in calcim so don't need to be dusted with calcium powder. You can keep them right in the little container, no food or work required. Just take them out, let them dry off (so the bedding material falls off) and feed. FOr my supers, I have a bucket with oats and some potato / carrots for water source. Just a plastic bucket for kids for the beach. It's orange with a blue handle LOL. When my dragon sees it he tries to jump out of his enclosure at it b/c he knows what lives in there. I have to hold him back LOL. Again, easy, but they do have a slight odor as well. (I think more from the potato and carrots than the worms themselves.) Don't use mealworms. Not great nutritionally and have a shell that is hard to digest.

Thanks in advance for any advice given, I know not to jump into this without full knowledge of how to care for the beardie that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom