Darwin

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Poor lil guy 😔 hopefully you can get to the bottom of it.
My first dragon poked her nail through her eye lid and it clotted over, we thought she had lost the eye, the vet thought so also. Feeding her became a real challenge. Eventually with daily cleaning and treatment the clot fell away and her eye was fine, but i know 1st hand how hard feeding can be when they can't see well (and that was just 1 eye). I feel for you brother.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor Darwin, hopefully he can improve and stay comfortable and reasonably healthy. He's pretty famous around these parts and I know he's a big part of your life and accompanies you on many an adventure. Sending my best wishes to your steadfast scaly companion !

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Darwin went back for a checkup this week. His tube feeding is working as well as could be expected. He is steadily putting weight back on with no obvious side effects. He still has quite a lot of energy and runs around the place. They added a few stitches to the tube to help keep it in place and that is working well so far. The tape just kept getting kicked off and stuck on things (everything except his skin) as he ran around. Going to start reducing the feeding tube use to every other day to try and get him back to eating on his own. He is still ignoring hornworms which are his favorite. I still worry about the underlying issue. The vet detected a hepatic mass during the exam, so I suspect that is the root cause of his appetite issues rather than his blindness. I wish it was the latter since I can hand feed him indefinitely and he's still able to detect and return to his basking area. I have a bad feeling about it, but I'll keep giving him the best I can. Another vet visit in a few weeks to do an ultrasound, possible biopsy, and re-visit with the opthalmology dept.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Darwin went back for a checkup this week. His tube feeding is working as well as could be expected. He is steadily putting weight back on with no obvious side effects. He still has quite a lot of energy and runs around the place. They added a few stitches to the tube to help keep it in place and that is working well so far. The tape just kept getting kicked off and stuck on things (everything except his skin) as he ran around. Going to start reducing the feeding tube use to every other day to try and get him back to eating on his own. He is still ignoring hornworms which are his favorite. I still worry about the underlying issue. The vet detected a hepatic mass during the exam, so I suspect that is the root cause of his appetite issues rather than his blindness. I wish it was the latter since I can hand feed him indefinitely and he's still able to detect and return to his basking area. I have a bad feeling about it, but I'll keep giving him the best I can. Another vet visit in a few weeks to do an ultrasound, possible biopsy, and re-visit with the opthalmology dept.
Oh wow I didnt realize Darwin has lost his eyesight- it has been something else feeding Blaze every feeding w/ a syringe--- I am beginning to think Blaze wouldnt eat if I wasnt syringe feeding him - he will still go w/ trying to get dubias but it is a struggle - he wont chase them so I put them on their backs and even then he has a hard time getting them - he scoops them up - today my husband actually got him to eat 3 super worms- he has not had super worms in a long time its been months since I had them for Hiccup last fall and I couldnt get Blaze to eat them then - I was glad to see him eat them - they were on his foot but he scooped them up - how long has Darwin been w/ out his eye sight? Is this something that just came on like w / Blaze -

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Bless his heart, he couldn't be in better care though. I'll send prayers his way.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Oh wow I didnt realize Darwin has lost his eyesight- it has been something else feeding Blaze every feeding w/ a syringe--- I am beginning to think Blaze wouldnt eat if I wasnt syringe feeding him - he will still go w/ trying to get dubias but it is a struggle - he wont chase them so I put them on their backs and even then he has a hard time getting them - he scoops them up - today my husband actually got him to eat 3 super worms- he has not had super worms in a long time its been months since I had them for Hiccup last fall and I couldnt get Blaze to eat them then - I was glad to see him eat them - they were on his foot but he scooped them up - how long has Darwin been w/ out his eye sight? Is this something that just came on like w / Blaze -
He's had cataracts for a couple of years (ish?) now. Worse in his left eye but now it has advanced in his right eye as well. The vet thinks he can still detect shadows and he can still clearly move his way around the house and get back to his lighting without a problem though. We've been monitoring their advance for about 2 years now ever since I saw the change in the way light reflected off of his left eye (milky/opaque). Vet said they don't really have the tools small enough to perform surgery to treat it like they would in a person or a larger animal. Just offering turtle eye drops to provide some extra vitamins to address any potential dietary deficiency.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He's had cataracts for a couple of years (ish?) now. Worse in his left eye but now it has advanced in his right eye as well. The vet thinks he can still detect shadows and he can still clearly move his way around the house and get back to his lighting without a problem though. We've been monitoring their advance for about 2 years now ever since I saw the change in the way light reflected off of his left eye (milky/opaque). Vet said they don't really have the tools small enough to perform surgery to treat it like they would in a person or a larger animal. Just offering turtle eye drops to provide some extra vitamins to address any potential dietary deficiency.
One of Blazes eyes has a cataract and the other the retina is not round its odd shaped- he sees movement but the aim is off -- he wont eat anything still he cant see it I am thinking the movement gets his attention - he stays on the floor of his tank and does not climb on any decor anymore - I had to lower his UVB to 12 inches directly above the floor so hes getting adequate UVB - he had head tremors going on but I caught it right away and lowered the UVB so those are now gone - Blaze is going to be 5 in July and was fine a little over a year ago - I started noticing the aim off on the striking of trying to get roaches - constantly missing the roach so I knew he must not be able to see - had a vet visit and Dr Nancy confirmed he couldnt see very well - so I have been watching the weight and his behavior and everything there is fine along w/ the pooping - he scoots around his tank --

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Darwin went back for a follow up visit. We have his weight back to normal and his fat pads are starting to fill back in a bit, which is the good news. The bad news is that they confirmed the mass around his liver is a form of cancer and that there isn't a viable treatment for it. If he was a cat or dog, they would do surgery, but in the case of a dragon we agreed that the risks involved with this type of surgery far outweigh the potential benefit. I will keep trying to encourage him to eat, but with the mass in his abdomen, he doesn't really have drive to eat, which aligns with what led to his weight loss in the first place. Since he is still his usual energetic self, we are going to keep the feeding tube in place and make sure he gets the nutrients he needs. I know they tend to fade quickly/suddenly at the end, but perhaps we will have time for one more road trip or adventure this summer.

IMG_7200.jpeg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh wow, so sorry to hear this ! Thankfully he's still active + enjoying life but the diagnosis is a real blow. If anyone is able to care for him properly right up to the end it's you. But I'm so sorry that you both have to deal with this. Darwin has the best owner he could have and hopefully he has more time for a little adventure with you.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Man it makes me sad to hear that, I hope you guys get that road trip in. He is certainly in good hands.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So sorry to hear about Darwin-- he was / is a lucky dragon to have gotten a person so caring to take care of him - I think you said he was a rescue correct? Hes had a good life that is for sure -- what is Darwins age?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom