Darkens while basking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Hello !

I've been looking this up and have been finding conflicting information.

When he is basking, his scales on top of him turn pretty dark. When he's out to play or asleep, he gets much lighter. Is this normal ? I've heard it is to better absorb heat and that it is normal, but I've heard other things, too.

Thank you. :)

Luthien

Juvie Member
If your beardie is still eating, drinking, sleeping, going to the bathroom as normal and only goes darker while basking then yes it's just because he's absorbing more heat. We all know that black attracts heat so turning darker attracts it for beardies.

What temps do you have his tank at? Turning darker like that tells me he's not getting enough heat.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you !

I actually discovered the problem - he was seeing his reflection and was stressed by it. I put paper towels up on his walls and now he stays a light color all the time. He's being treated for parasites, so I didn't want to put a permanent background in the tank - but after watching him, I realised he *can* see himself in the glass and felt threatened by his terrifying self. Now he doesn't darken, the light stress marks are gone, and he seems more relaxed.

Luthien

Juvie Member
That's awesome news! :)

Ya these little guys don't like "other beardies" around their homes, even if it's only their reflection :p Crazy critters. Glad everything worked out for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom