Dark at the end of Chomper's tail..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chompster

I'm mostly wanting to see if anyone else has had this experience with their beardies, as it's bothering me and I have no idea what's going on!!

- He has had a thick layer of stuck shed for ~6 months. He regularly gets 2-3 baths a week. His tank humidity fluctuates, anywhere from 25-50% (only that high on really bad days, typically during the spring). No water bowl in his tank as he doesn't like it and never used it.

- Since noticing the shed wasn't budging, he's been getting lots of extra care. We've tried soaking him with Shed Ease (no apparent effect), letting coconut oil sit on it for awhile), olive oil (seems the most effective), and finally we've started rubbing his tail down with olive oil and letting it soak it with a wet cloth wrapped around it for about an hour a night this week. I notice a few scales starting to shed (!!!) but there's a lot more to work on! We also use a soft bristle toothbrush on this area.

- NOW.... we came back from vacation to see that a large portion of his tail has gotten very dark!!! There is no noticeable damage on the tail itself and it is soft and he reacts when we pinch it. It is a few inches away from the area of thick stuck shed. <b>It is not poop or dirt</b> (which someone suggested, believe it or not. The vet has seen it and isn't sure what to think, so is sending pics to a colleague to look at and we might go see him if he thinks it is necessary.

- The stuck shed really bothers him. He flinches away when we touch it, though he doesn't seem bothered when we touch the dark portion.

11402761_10152832654621286_4583953356273927181_n.jpg

11234816_10152833250631286_9122223432437576472_n.jpg

11666226_10152832648606286_6505205295607620420_n.jpg

His stuck shed:

10301462_10152797703066286_3450739375557241004_n.jpg

11206022_10152722839711286_398487059274203791_n.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I think that what happened is the tail absorbed all the oil you've been putting on it and is now just dark colored from that. His tail should be fine !! As an adult, they an carry a shed on part of their body for a very long time, and sometimes it sheds + then builds up new skin to shed soon after so you can't really tell how long each section took. Those sheds eventually come off if you leave them alone. The only time you need to intervene is if it's actually constricting + pinching off the blood flow. That usually makes the tail look very thin + brittle beyond that "pinched off" point. That and if the tail actually gets mushy looking with possible reddish sores....other than that, sheds will look uneven + take a long time and still be fine. But I'm sure that's just stained from the oil now. Try to get that off with a little soap + then let it dry out, it should be fine.

Chompster

Original Poster
AHBD":2cau982d said:
Hi there....I think that what happened is the tail absorbed all the oil you've been putting on it and is now just dark colored from that. His tail should be fine !! As an adult, they an carry a shed on part of their body for a very long time, and sometimes it sheds + then builds up new skin to shed soon after so you can't really tell how long each section took. Those sheds eventually come off if you leave them alone. The only time you need to intervene is if it's actually constricting + pinching off the blood flow. That usually makes the tail look very thin + brittle beyond that "pinched off" point. That and if the tail actually gets mushy looking with possible reddish sores....other than that, sheds will look uneven + take a long time and still be fine. But I'm sure that's just stained from the oil now. Try to get that off with a little soap + then let it dry out, it should be fine.

Huh, okay. We've tried washing it pretty well. We only really applied oil to the area of stuck shed (which part of actually came off tonight!!!), not the darker part, which are separated by a good inch or two. I was really concerned about it because it seemed obviously painful. I'll go back to our normal 2x a week bathing routine and see how the tip of his tail improves. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom