Dark at end of tail & other symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmh3988

Hatchling Member
Hi -
I've had Puffy since June '11 (she was around 3 months old). She's about 17" long and was 437 g at her highest but has not been eating well and has lost some (my scale needs new batteries).

I took her to the vet 2 weeks ago to have him look at her tail. It's got a crook about 3 1/2" from the tip and I was afraid she may be getting MBD. He suspected the same and had me up her liquid calcium to 5x / week. I had a fecal done a week ago to make sure parasites weren't slowing her appetite and that came back clean.

Her tail has now darkened fairly far up from the tip since the vet, appetite still not great and I came home today and she had a black beard (which is very rare for her). Totally white and happy colors other than the beard. She also pooped/peed (very small amounts since she hasn't eaten much) 3 times today which is very rare for her too.

Could something possibly going on I can't see externally with all these symptoms? I used to freak out over every tiny thing but have read and researched a TON since I've had her and can usually figure out if it's something to be concerned about or not. This is kind of worrying me though. She ate a couple of bites of peas tonight. Here a couple of pics of her from when I was feeding her:

She is:
In a 40 gallon
2 18" reptisun 10.0 uvb bulbs inside the viv
heat bulb - 102-105 at basking spot
paper towel substrate
When she was eating well she was on dubia supplemented with baby food peas -- every other day on each(i'm able to shove greens down here occasionally but it's been a long, hard road with those).
Before calcium uppage by the vet she had liquid calcium 3x / week and dusted with vitamins 2x/week
Gets a bath every other day

Any thoughts/advice are much appreciated. I'm watching to see if that black beard goes away. Even if/when it does I'm curious about the tail and the excessive (for her) poop/pee.

Full body (peas on her nose) - you can see where crook starts
Pbody_zps4d229c01.jpg

Tail (the very tip has always been a bit dark/bent - vet did a skin cell test over a year ago and it was ok, but dark so far up and crook is new)
PTail_zps607e9795.jpg

brittani299

Extreme Poster
If the very end of her tail is black she could have tail rot. It was hard to tell by the picture. Daisy is during with tail rot now and it is a pain.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Her tail does look like it was affected by a slight MBD condition, but you are already upping the calcium, so she will do fine. The dark tail + beard may both just be from going to the vet [ stress ] but since she is not eating and has had the small poos, watch to see if she starts digging around the tank. She may be carrying eggs and would then need a lay box. If you need info about that, there's a sticky at the top of the page in the breeding forum with info on what to do if your girl lays eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bw341606
Top Bottom