dandelion greens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessd123

i hear of alot of people giving their iguanas and other types of reptiles these, i've never heard anything on beardies though... are these good for them? bogey barely ever eats his greens.. i normally have to force feed him baby food and he hates that as well.. loves fruit.. hates veggies.. he's just your run of the mill stubborn little kid i guess lol. i was wondering if anyone else gives their babies these? i found a whole bunch of them growing in my yard. of course i would put some vitamins on them and wash it thoroughly. it would be nice to get him to eat something that is free for once lol. :blob8:

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Yep ours love them. We grow them in a small patch they love the flowers and the leaves!

AlanHJ

Juvie Member
Gucci used to love Mustard greens when he was around 5-8 months old. But he definately likes Dandelion Greens

Seven65

Juvie Member
I'd be nervous about getting dandelion greens from the wild since they're a weed and would be worried about pesticides. Im considering putting a pot of dirt on my deck and throwing some of the seeds in it and growing them on my deck to be sure they're safe. I doubt it would be hard to grow them heh. I was wondering though, if you buy them from a store they are smooth, where as the ones that grow around here have a bit of fuzz on the leaves, are they the same plant? Do you think it would make a difference?

EditL: I took a look on google, it appears what I'm thinking of are "false dandelions" They look very silmilar. I'm sure there're real ones around somewhere.

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
You can buy them at the store too but they dont last long. I still buy them from time to time but they wilt so fast! even if i put them in the fridge or put them in water.

Have you tried mustard greens? those have a nice spicy smell that might get his attention. or some chopped up apples in his salad will make it smell sweet.

Jessd123

Original Poster
i've never seen mustard greens... do u just get them from anywhere? walmart? any grocery store? let me know asap cuz im going grocery shopping when my husband gets home from work. squash is really hard to find right now, he loves squash, but hates kale, and isnt too fond of collard greens. i also have another question i hear that they like egg whites? is that true? and is it good for them?

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
Probably wouldnt go with the egg whites. If hes eating the bugs you have for him then you dont have to worry about protien.

any big grocery store should have Turnip greens, mustard greens. collard greens or dandelion greens. Try places like Tops, Walmart, Wegmans, martins..ect ect. Usually its not in the lettuce section but near things like Bok choy, and leeks. You can also try endive or escarole.

Heres a list of stuff to look for

Turnip greens
Mustard greens
Collard greens
dandelion greens
endive
escarole

I would buy the turnip greens, dandelion greens or the mustard greens, those seem to be the ones my beardies like the best. they have more flavor.

good luck!

check this website out for the nutrition content of foods for beardies
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

neecie

Juvie Member
On Beautiful Dragons. com I saw how good wheatgrass is - bought organic seeds online and will plant them in a big pot this weekend. This way I can have some too. Flower pots are good to move around and know they stay save from chemicals. Should be an easy veggie to grow and always have it available.

Jessd123

Original Poster
yeah i think he is just fine when it comes to protein, thats all he really eats is crickets he doesnt even like any type of worms yet.. i tried mill worms and he picks em up spits them out and looks at me like "do u really think im gonna eat this crap?!" i've been on the hunt for silkworms but they are really hard to find right now.. horn worms are wayyy too expensive. he hasnt been eating his baby food for the past couple days.. when i try to force feed him he runs away lol he is so freakin stubborn. i hate how kale and collard greens come in such huggge bags.. i feel like i waste so much of it when i buy it.. cuz 1 he doesnt eat it.. and 2 u can only buy like 5 lb bags. thanks for the info on the other greens though i will definitely be on the search for them when i go shopping this evening. he loves bananas, i've never gave him apples yet... what kind of apples should i get him? red delicious? granny smith apples are pretty tart i dunno if he would like those or not...

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
If you have a walmart close, you can get as little or as much as you want. Still cost effective compared to a grocery store.
Just a thought.
Janie.

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
i bought some turnip seeds (turnips grown for their greens) and mustard green seeds. I planted them in pots near the window last week and they are already sprouting! perhaps once you get him eating the greens you may want to lookinto growing them. its so easy!

Jessd123

Original Poster
he ate a good bit of the mustard greens! i got him some this evening, sprinkled with some dragon dust. and he went to town on them, that is the first "green" he has eaten in months. dont worry i keep him loaded on baby food, but i was very pleased to see him finally eat some veggies. i was thinkin about plantin some when the weather gets nicer around here... its actually snowing right now. :roll: . we are turning our back porch into a plant sanctuary when it gets nicer, me and my husband love gardening, will it matter i what soil i use for planting greens for him to eat? thanks guys for all ur suggestions! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom