D3 Supplement

Status
Not open for further replies.

john15882

I have been doing quite a bit of research and interestingly finding different answers.

Ok, we have had our dragons along with other reptiles for severak years now and have been using both UVB and D3. I know that not all UVB bulbs are equal to say the least so we also utilize D3 for our dragons.

Now, the real question is ... do I need UVB along with D3 or can I just use the D3.

Please don't respond in favor of the UVB if you have no evidence to back it up one way or the other. I am interested to see if everyone uses UVB or if others have established a strictly Vitamin D3 supplement.

Let me know.

volvotech

Hatchling Member
I've since switched to Zoo-med strip bulbs, but I started out using Mercury Vapor heat/UVB bulbs. I got into a debate about UVB/D3 at the local pet store, so I contacted Exo Terra (the brand I was using), and asked them if I still needed to supplement with D3 if I was using one of their bulbs. The company's answer was "yes." Could just be the company covering its butt, but that's their official stance.

On the other hand, Doug Dix of Deer Fern Farms and I were discussing my Uromastyx back in December. Doug, a very experienced keeper, said that UVB was not necessary if I planned to supplement with D3 regularly.

All that being said, I use strip lights and supplement with D3 to stay on the safe side.

john15882

Original Poster
madmello":f08k4031 said:
you need UVB, trust me. as for evidence, simply research some more, there's plenty of it

I would say that there is not plenty of evidence out there by any means. However, there is plenty of hear say, someone told me, and not to mention companies which state that UVB is necessary due to the fact they are the ones selling the products.

gulfbrzdawn":f08k4031 said:
Here is research that you can read and then determine for yourself what UVB and D3 requirements are needed. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/uvinviv.htm

Thank you for the link. I have read things like this, but am looking for some type of study that has been performed. I don't plan on switching to solely D3 supplement, but saving on bulbs every six months would be a benefit.

john15882

Original Poster
I retract my previous statement about the lack of information available. Furthermore, I would like to thank Drache613 for her response, which really helped to clarify things for me. I now better understand why our beardies need the UVB.

Drache613":144jlbd0 said:
Hello,

I would be glad to provide a couple of medical documentations for you regarding vitamin D3 problems.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171406.htm

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/vitdpathway.htm

http://www.reptileuvinfo.com/docs/hypervitaminosis-d-green-iguanas.pdf

http://www.universityvet.com/resource/tortoise-nutrition

While a couple are for other species, it still relates to the overall spectrum of vitamin D3 in synthetic form. It is much healthier to provide natural D3 through light, than to continually supplement enough D3 to keep bones strong. Over time, the inability of the body to properly absorb calcium due to inadequate UVB exposure, will eventually catch up to the animal. The dose for D3 is difficult to establish but is in micro units. I would have to refer to my medical table, but, normally it is not wise to overdo the D3 for long term.
It greatly depends on genetics, etc, but they really cannot absorb calcium very well, if, at all, with the assistance of UVB exposure. The skin has to be exposed to UVB in order to synthesize D3 in the amount that the animal needs. It is very hard to control without that & with just supplementing because you don't know what their 25 Hydroxy levels are in their system. They instinctively regulate their own levels, by going in & out of the UVB light, when needed.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom