Cutting, Portioning and freezing fresh veggies???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I haven't had much luck finding any info on this subject...I have an extremely fussy Beardie when it comes to veggies. As in she just won't eat anything willfully except her worms and crickets.
Ive basically exhausted the beautiful dragons list of fruits/veggies, with all kinds of mixtures but no luck. Ive tried stopping feeding anything but greens for three days and she ate nothing for three days so I gave in, I couldnt stand to make her starve! Shes one of my babies! ;)
I won't stop offering greens though, since she is nearly 8months old she should be transitioning foods soon...
Where I live its hard to find a good range of plant matter for an affordable price (for my Beardie at least, I don't eat squash or dandelion greens lol or many of the things beardies should have) especially in the winter months! Only option is to buy a whole (HUGE) bunch or bag of whatever veggies I need, and that's wasteful in my house since maybe three leaves from the 2lb bag get eaten. So I'm wondering if I buy my assortment of veggies and portion them out for a few days at a time and then freeze the baggie, can't I just thaw them out in the fridge and offer those?
I'll never feed her pre packaged frozen veggie mixes though, blah!! ;p
Anybody ever done this to reduce waste??

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I don't usually freeze veggies cause the come out gross and wiltywhen I do it. I don't know how long frozen salads last or the best procedures for freezing/thawing them. What the lizard doesn't eat goes to the roaches, so it's not wasted here.

If you chose to go this route read up on the effects of freezing/thawing on vitamins. For example, Thiamin (b1) can easily be destroyed when thawing frozen food. This has been linked to thiamin deficiency in iguanas when used long term. That doesn't mean it can't be done just that extra supplementation may be needed for certain vitamins.

Corty

Have you looked into the vacuum seal bags at all? It's expensive to buy the set up but after that initial cost you just need bags (or containers or whatever) ... I have had success with the vacuum bags in the fridge saving a great deal of greens from rotting before i could use them .. It's also great for leftovers, freezing uncooked meats, etc....but I bought my set specifically for my scaly babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom