custom viv w/ pics need help is varnish a safe alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
please help i am currently in the process of making my year and a half old bearded dragon rocko a custom wood viv. It is a custom corner tank with a red oak frame and particle board for the back two walls. top and floor. the front 3 walls are going to be glass. i also have all the plans -angels ect, and pictures of it step by step as i plan on making a how to guide when this hole thing is done. My question was is it safe to use varnish instead of stain? my dad builds wood boats and i like the look of only varnish. and i was also wondering if i should varnish the hole tank including the inside? or should i only do the outside. I will also grout and tile the floor. Thanks for any help in advance.

24l67tf.jpg

2uivn2h.jpg

29wwapf.jpg

2vanpex.jpg

au85rk.jpg

t9bgih.jpg

2rqjzg2.jpg

4r8epz.jpg

2db7xvn.jpg

3445ycl.jpg

2wqcxzp.jpg

25hnadu.jpg

alg0mo.jpg

i2sky8.jpg

144a2om.jpg

9v874w.jpg

oe9w9.jpg

34ta2qt.jpg

i4n411.jpg

2j2coew.jpg

25ow3ep.jpg

5aom78.jpg

s3m3w6.jpg

9i8e86.jpg

s2h8hv.jpg

wrdh0l.jpg

24me0oz.jpg

1gpvyg.jpg

11kccxh.jpg

1zx2rvb.jpg

HeatherSullivan

Hatchling Member
I dont know any thing about about the varnish, but that enclosure looks pretty awesome. Looks big! do you have your plans on the computer so you could upload them? I am just curious as to what it will look like.

johnbettencourt

Original Poster
no sorry i do not i drew and planed everything in a graph paper notebook but as far as the finished project iv been taking it as i go. i have the plans but have been altering them as i go but i am gona finish the back wall with a fan and some vents the other back wall has custom dual sliding doors that i imagined. i plan on making a big fake rock/wall/cave and need the doors in the back to get inside. the front two side pieces will be big solid glass sheets. and the middle will be two glass pieces that open at the middle kinda like a cabinet. but varnish is like stain just not as dark. my dad uses both varnish and stain on the boat he literally alternates pieces to get different colors. so he doesn't see why not especially if im gona seal it after. i was just wondering if it gave of different fumes or something like that as opposed to stain. i very may well stain it still i was just entertaining the idea.

ReefLuvR

Looks like you're doing a great job John. I'm interested also to find out if varnish is safe to use in a Beardie enclosure. I'd like to use Spar Varnish as it's incredibly watertight and great for cleanup. Have you found out if it's ok?

johnbettencourt

Original Poster
no i havent found anything on the subject im gona look at the container and if it says its non toxic i mite use it. i think i should be ok if i seal it after

WOW!! This Viv looks great!!! Outstanding job so far!! Keep us informed of progress with tons of pictures!! I'm sure that varnish is safe especially since you're going to seal it anyways! Pretty much anything you use will be fine after it's sealed :)

ReefLuvR":30mobp35 said:
What will you seal it with?
I know your question was to the OP but deck seal or any kind of wood sealer will work.. Considering the OPs dad does boat staining and the such I'm sure he will know just what to use :)

johnbettencourt

Original Poster
Thx for all the compliments posting.php?mode=reply&f=75&t=157359# but that's what i figured, it would be OK if i sealed it after and i was just going to use wood sealer but i never thought of deck sealer. i mite use that because we recently redid our deck for our pool. But i will continue posting piks of my progress. just beer with me i am a mechanic not a carpenter and my carpentry skills are minor at that so it takes me longer than most. i also mostly work on it during the weekends. and iv put 2 months into it so far. but while where on the subject do u guys have any ideas about the lighting? im still working out the heating i bought a dual flood light thing from homedepo but my dad says i need a metal box behind it for the wires and i just hate the metal box. its big and ugly and i personally don't think i need it. Any comments or other suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
verzx
Top Bottom