Curious Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm .. so here's the deal wit lil ms. froggy ..

she basks .. a lot .. i usually have the basking light on for 12-16 hours a day .. florescent bulb on 24/7 .. i think i've seen her on the cooler side of the tank only a few times .. she mainly sits on her lil stick .. head up as high as she can get it .. the temp at the top of the cage where the bulb sits is 105+ (the therm strip won't go any further than 105) and on the cage floor it's about 85 .. so ok is it usual for her to bask so much?

also occasionally she goes CRAZY and seems to be trying to get out of the enclosure .. scratching excessively .. than she just stops .. and goes back to basking .. it's weird ..

also .. she doesn't do her beardie wave any more .. nor does she gape really ..

also .. not behavior related but still curious .. shes looked like she's been in shed for months .. like .. a couple legs, part of her tail are one color .. and the rest of her is dull and looks to be shedding .. the other day i picked her up and noticed her skin was coming off where her leg meets her body but it looked like she just stopped shedding .. i pulled the little skin peice off n that was pretty much that .. should i be concerned?

thanks!11

redflea13

Try measuring the temps with a temp gun that is the most accurate. The florescent light dosen't need to be on all the time, could make it hard to sleep. What kind of UV light are you using?

Sinplystik

Original Poster
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=94505

the link above is a convo i just had regarding the lighting i have .. rather than repeat everything from yesterday .. i figure that'll suffice .. lol

i was reading last nite that in uv light tests berdies would prefer being under a basking lamp than a florescent because the basking lamp provides better uvb .. so that may ans my 1st question to some extent

It could be that the floor of the tank is not hot enough where it basks...the spot where it basks should be between 100-110 degrees and on the cool side of the tank should be around 85 degrees. For the shedding thing i might give it a bath to help it shed, and if you notice its still having troubles shedding you may need to take it to the vet and they could give you something to help it shed. I find my baby sheds alot too, like right now her tails just finishing up a shed and her heads starting to shed again, Beardies do most of there growing in there first year so that could explain why its constantly shedding as well, hope this helps.

Sinplystik

Original Poster
well .. she's 3 years old .. n she doesn't shed all too often .. i'm kinda unsure how to bath her .. so i just put her in a little water for a little while today and it doesn't look as tho she's shedding actually .. more or less that her skin varies in color drastically .. example - the top portion of her left hind limb is bright norm color while the lower portion is a dark color .. her back is dark .. her head is light .. her tail is like 3 diff. colors .. but the end 4" or so of her tail is discolored from the sand i believe .. any specific way i should bath her?

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
The lights should be on for 12-14 hours a day, and then completely off for the other 12-10 hours. They need darkness for them to sleep at night.

She sounds like she might want to be taken out to be held, or that she might be getting ready to lay eggs. Do you have her housed with the other beardie?

Also, she should be getting a bath at least 2-3 times a week. Put her in a pan or bowl and put enough lukewarm water in there until it's up to her armpits. Let her soak for 10-20 minutes. If she goes to the bathroom in the "bath" that's not that unusual.

What substrate do you have her on?

I just take a big tupperware container and fill it untill its about up to the top of my beardies arms the water should be warm but not hot. Put your beardie in it at first they may not like it too much, or it might enjoy it alot and even splash around a bit, but after mine is in the water i splash water onto her back, try to avoid gettin watter in there ears and kind of pet her all over to help her bathe. allow it like 10-15 minutes to soak in the watter and to hydrate

Sinplystik

Original Poster
Mistyck":ad8bc said:
The lights should be on for 12-14 hours a day, and then completely off for the other 12-10 hours. They need darkness for them to sleep at night.
I keep her lights on 12-16 hours a day .. off for the remaining hours ..

She sounds like she might want to be taken out to be held, or that she might be getting ready to lay eggs. Do you have her housed with the other beardie?
I take her out at least 5+ times a day for varying time periods .. and nope, she's solo .. the other beardie is too young yet to house them together .. i sexed him a few days ago, he's a male ;]

Also, she should be getting a bath at least 2-3 times a week. Put her in a pan or bowl and put enough lukewarm water in there until it's up to her armpits. Let her soak for 10-20 minutes. If she goes to the bathroom in the "bath" that's not that unusual.
ok can do .. i didn't even know i should bath them until i got on this forum

What substrate do you have her on?
some desert type substrate i got @ petsmart .. it's not quite sand, the granules are bigger .. i can't remember the name of it

Sinplystik

Original Poster
Hpg613Dragon":3bb2c said:
I just take a big tupperware container and fill it untill its about up to the top of my beardies arms the water should be warm but not hot. Put your beardie in it at first they may not like it too much, or it might enjoy it alot and even splash around a bit, but after mine is in the water i splash water onto her back, try to avoid gettin watter in there ears and kind of pet her all over to help her bathe. allow it like 10-15 minutes to soak in the watter and to hydrate

ok .. when i get back from burger king i'll give it another try .. i put her in for about 2 minutes a lil while ago .. she DID NOT seem to like it .. so i took her out .. but i'll give it another try .. thanks ;]

edit: ok so i just gave her a lil 10m bath .. she squirmed at first but after a second just sat in place .. until i started splashing water up over her back .. than she flattened out n seemed to take a defensive stance minus the puffy beard .. than while splashing she squirmed some more .. she found haven on my shoulder once i took her out .. now she's back basking .. felt a little cold so i figure she should warm a bit b4 i play with her some more .. here's a pic ;] (note - i didn't have anything big enuff to put her in so i just put her in the bath tub lol)

FroggyBath.jpg

Yea like i sead some of them won't mind the water and some of them get uncomfortable i guess, mine seems to love it and trys to kinda swim around in it. Baths are deffanitly a good idea it helps keep them hydrated, helps them shed, and also seems to help them with their bowl movements :roll: it also gives you another reason to spend some time with your beardie :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom