Culling Roaches

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pretty decent sized colony now and I was wondering if culling the baby's/nymphs from the adults is neccessary? I have heard that the adults sometimes eat the babys but I always keep two full bowls of high protien roach chow in there so I'd think they would be good.

moose9

Hatchling Member
murphyrules":35m67aud said:
I have a pretty decent sized colony now and I was wondering if culling the baby's/nymphs from the adults is neccessary? I have heard that the adults sometimes eat the babys but I always keep two full bowls of high protien roach chow in there so I'd think they would be good.

Culling your roaches would make it easier for feeding your pets. You also wouldn't be disturbing the breeders all the time when feeding out of the bin. I cull my roaches at least once a month, so I always have feeders of various sizes. I personally have never seen my adults eat the young, but I guess its possible. I know that Gromphadorhina portentosa (Madagascar hissing cockroach) are know to eat the young nymphs.

-Greg

clear

Sub-Adult Member
"For livestock and wildlife, the process of culling usually implies the killing of animals with undesirable characteristics."

I am a breed so I separate my sizes monthly. I have a baby grow up tub, a sell out tub and a future breeder tub. Dubia do not eat their babies.

suzuki4life

Juvie Member
clear":3i3jwfcl said:
"For livestock and wildlife, the process of culling usually implies the killing of animals with undesirable characteristics."

I am a breed so I separate my sizes monthly. I have a baby grow up tub, a sell out tub and a future breeder tub. Dubia do not eat their babies.

I separate whenever I have time to get to the tub to do it....I have many tubs.

keeping them together does help with growth a bit because nymphs will eat the adult molts and the dead.

ses2682

I would think it would be more beneficial to you to separate the nymphs into another bin and why not sell them and make some pocket money on her or craigslist?

clear

Sub-Adult Member
romanfj":2540clsg said:
Dubia are not cannibalistic. Coincidentally, crickets are.

Frank

Dubia will cannibalise each other. They will EAT the one molting if they do not have a good food source or if they run out of food or water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trishreyhui
Top Bottom