Crickets outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joef

Hatchling Member
Hey, so my parents are making me keep my feeder crickets outside because of the smell and I can't find ways to do it properly. Are there any ways to do this cheaply? It gets 100+ degrees in the summer and goes into the negatives in the winter here. Is there a way to keep the proper temps, keep them disease free, and do it properly all staying pretty cheap? What have you guys don't for this? I buy them in bulk of 1000. I was thinking about making like a box to put on our porch, but how would that work? I just need some ideas.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I don't know where you live but if you can I would get dubia roaches, they don't smell or make noise and difficult for them to escape.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Hey joef,
I know this does not necessarily answer your question but I'm really unsure of how to keep crickets alive outdoors. Temperature, weather, etc are all factors, as well as possible other predators that may figure out they're in there.
You run the risk of them overheating on sunny days if it's a rather closed box, getting rain soaked if a box with enough air holes, blowing away if super windy and not weighed down, or getting too cold at night. With larger holes you risk escape, predators, and water entry.

I personally do not do crickets because they're a pain. They smell, jump, and die rather quickly.
As kyleena suggested, dubia roaches are an all around better option if your family can get past the idea of roaches in the house. They pack a more nutritious punch for your dragons, can't climb, jump, or fly, smell a lot less (can't even smell mine, always smells like the food with them) and your dragon will go through fewer (if sized appropriately.) They are also really easy to breed. I keep mine in a black tote from Walmart near the water heater in my basement and have had great success, though it takes a long time to get the colony up and running to where you can feed from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom