Crickets keep dying..

Status
Not open for further replies.

burt1016

Juvie Member
I kept my 1000 in a 30 gallon tote bucket. Didn't seem to change the die off speed :?

Dubia aren't that hard to raise, nor are they time consuming. You will save time by not having to go to the pet store and buying crickets!

David42":1nz0dmpq said:
Thank you! More than likely ill be able to come up with everything. I think my biggest problem was space, I didn't realize that they needed more space.

It's realistically crawling space, not the space itself. They like to get into things, and if you just throw them into a cage they'll all huddle into the corners. That's why you see egg cartons and the like used because there's tons of stuff for them to crawl on.

JMDaniels

David42":15vkdtl9 said:
So every 5 days or so I get my little guy about 4 dozen crickets from the pet store. I keep them in a plastic container, yes with holes, as well as the egg cartons they give you in the store, and lastly fluckers orange cubes which I'll replace every 2-3 days. The problem is about 1 dozen crickets or more always seem to die. Any suggestions on preventing this?

There are many potential reasons. It's hard to pinpoint the problem without seeing a photo of your set up and knowing all the details of how you are keeping them. You mentioned that you have them in a plastic container "with holes". How many holes? The best thing would be to make a lid using screen mesh. Even with a few holes, they might not have enough air. Cut a big rectangular hole in the plastic lid and then ducktape screen mesh over the hole (you can get screen mesh from places like Home Depot and Lowes). What is the temperature where you're keeping them? Ideally, it should be at least 75 degrees F. How old are they when you buy them and how long does it take before they die? It is normal for full size crickets to die of old age within a week.

There is also a possibility that the problem lies with the pet store and how well they were maintained before you received them. It may be worth a shot to order crickets from somewhere else. Try some online suppliers and see if you have better results. If not, then you know it has to do with the way you are keeping them.

David42

Original Poster
I just got a cricket keeper and I haven't found any dead yet, but they are only like week only crickets and everything's right with the temperature

mustang611

I feed my crickets a combination of fresh greens and the Zilla bearded dragon food (dry pellets). My dragon doesn't care for dried food, but the crickets LOVE it. And since it eventually gets into my dragon, it's all good. But some crickets die, it's inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom