crickets in cage at night harm my baby beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRT12141992

Hatchling Member
Ok so today I notice one of my beardies crickets ran under his carpet, I lift it up and see about ten crickets hiding in a corner under the carpet. So now I'm freaking out because the crickets have been in his cage at ngiht AND it means he hasn't been getting enough food. Also I came in later that night and i had missed one that was sitting on his head! Can they have hurt him?? Also lately he doesn't really go for them like he used to, he used to jump on the crickets still eats them but doesn't really hunt anymore? Ugh the little dude is worrying me.

bandit27

Hatchling Member
My male will not hunt at all, he sits around waiting for his food to come to him. If he tries to get one an misses he just waits for the next one :?

Crickets can bite a beardie if left in the cage overnight, i think i've read on here that if they have been bitten there will be a red mark. I'm sure someone will confirm or correct me on that though.

Maybe try another feeder for him, he may be just fed up of the same thing

mellu

Juvie Member
If hiding crickets are a problem in your guy's tank feed him in a separate place, I feed mine in a tall clear rubbermaid tub with paper towel taped to the bottom when I have crickets. The crickets will bite your beardie over night if there is no source of food in the tank, and sometimes even if their is. This runs a risk of infection and all the bad things that go with it.

Feeding this way ensures you your beardie is getting all the food he needs and everything you're giving him is going down in him instead of dying in his tank.
Here is a picture of Miss Mika eating some crix
0407011401a.jpg

Spookle

mellu":1qp762sr said:
If hiding crickets are a problem in your guy's tank feed him in a separate place, I feed mine in a tall clear rubbermaid tub with paper towel taped to the bottom when I have crickets. The crickets will bite your beardie over night if there is no source of food in the tank, and sometimes even if their is. This runs a risk of infection and all the bad things that go with it.

Feeding this way ensures you your beardie is getting all the food he needs and everything you're giving him is going down in him instead of dying in his tank.
0407011401a.jpg

I found this the best way too :)

SRT12141992

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I;ve actually tried this but he won't go for the crickets, when he does go for the crickets its only if its in his tank.
he did better today and hunted a couple of them, just wish they wouldnt get under the carpet
Spookle":3e6aocwk said:
mellu":3e6aocwk said:

0407011401a.jpg

I found this the best way too :)

mellu

Juvie Member
If you are persistent he will learn that being in the tub means food time. However if you keep feeding him in his tank when trying to train him to eat in the tub he'll never get it. My baby girl took a while to figure it out, the tub scared her at first.

SRT12141992

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
mellu":t02znxg9 said:
If you are persistent he will learn that being in the tub means food time. However if you keep feeding him in his tank when trying to train him to eat in the tub he'll never get it. My baby girl took a while to figure it out, the tub scared her at first.

ah I see, good plan i will try it. I'm gonna try to feed him roaches because i'm tired of the crickets they are very jumpy

hockeyballz30

Sub-Adult Member
roaches are excellent, since I have switched over 4 years ago, ive never had any of my guys test positive for parasites. Crickets are dirtier and more prone to parasites IMO. Roaches also have a better meat to shell ratio. Feed them less roaches compared to crickets because of size and meat. Also, getting a breed of roach that breeds live makes your supply self sustainable. Will never go back to crickets.

SRT12141992

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hockeyballz30":dixnkmvi said:
roaches are excellent, since I have switched over 4 years ago, ive never had any of my guys test positive for parasites. Crickets are dirtier and more prone to parasites IMO. Roaches also have a better meat to shell ratio. Feed them less roaches compared to crickets because of size and meat. Also, getting a breed of roach that breeds live makes your supply self sustainable. Will never go back to crickets.
Where do u get yours from? Do pet stores sell them? My friend sells them but shes on vacation till July so can't get them from her for awhile.

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
Once you order some, can't you let them reproduce and not really have to buy them again?

And Yoshi won't eat anywhere but his tank, either. I take out all his decorations while he eats and I watch til the crix are almost all gone. That when he starts getting lazy and waiting for them to come to him. I usually have to shoo the last few in his direction cuz he gets full and is tired of chasing them. Then I lift up the shelf liner he's on so I can make sure they are all gone. Then I put the decorations beck in for him.

SRT12141992

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sashee":2ici0393 said:
Once you order some, can't you let them reproduce and not really have to buy them again?

And Yoshi won't eat anywhere but his tank, either. I take out all his decorations while he eats and I watch til the crix are almost all gone. That when he starts getting lazy and waiting for them to come to him. I usually have to shoo the last few in his direction cuz he gets full and is tired of chasing them. Then I lift up the shelf liner he's on so I can make sure they are all gone. Then I put the decorations beck in for him.

Problem is he won't eat if I take the carpet and everything off, and the carpet is the problem the little crickets go under it, today my bearidie was burrowing under the carpet too, I tried taping down the corners and they came undone by him burrowing under it, since I took the tape off he hasn't gone under the carpet I think the tape just made him curious. I've tried taking everything out but he wont eat em unless he has the carpet I guess the glass feels too weird to him? Not sure. He seemed to do better with roaches.

Sashee

Sub-Adult Member
I have shelf liner in Yoshi's. I leave it in there cuz he doesn't like the glass either. Then when he's done, I lift it up and make sure he got all of them.

hockeyballz30

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, to answer your question....when you buy a good amount of male and female adults, you will start to get a bunch of baby roaches quite quickly. I usually order the mixed because you get all different ages. The key is getting the breeding pairs so they will continue to produce. ALWAYS more Females than males. Males will fight each other if they do not have a female to mount. Keep em warm and hydrated and they will breed excellent with no experience and minimal work.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
SRT12141992":20gn8fhn said:
hockeyballz30":20gn8fhn said:
Where do u get yours from? Do pet stores sell them? My friend sells them but shes on vacation till July so can't get them from her for awhile.

Look in the For Sale forum on here.. there are alwasy people selling their dubia..

[ Invalid URL Removed / p= t=148370 f=2 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom