Crickets freak me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I know, not the best for a long time reptile/amphibian owner. How do you guys handle having so many crickets in your house at a time? I know it's so much more cost effective to buy them in bulk/breed, but they're so creepy/smelly/loud. I only ever buy a couple dozen at a time...I hate finding them like, on the wall or the stairs or something. What if they get in your bed? Shiver. How do you guys deal with it? Do you just acknowledge their grossness and get over it, for the beardie's sake, or have you found a clean, escape-proof way to keep them?

scm133

Juvie Member
My room sounds like the woods, with all the chirping..LOL!! Actually, it isn't that bad. I order 1000 at a time online, because I have one dragon, and eleven geckos. I keep them in a 20 gallon tank with screen lid. I use egg crates to give them more space, water crystals, pro gecko chow, and carrots. I clean out the cricket poo, and dead ones every three days. I have no bad smells, or escapes. I always pinch back legs off when feeding. Been doing this for over a year, now. I am a slave to my lizards..LOL!! :whip:

trinity040400

Juvie Member
I have never hated any bug as much as I hate crickets! I am finally cricket free since both my dragons are full grown. But when I did have them I kept them in a 10gl fish tank with a fine mesh lid and they stayed in the garage. I dont think I could live with though things in my room, they are nasty little things. :puke: I now breed super worms and buy butter worms and silk worms mostly.

So you are not alone there are a ton of people here who hate crickets. :mrgreen:

Kaiser

Juvie Member
I like all kinds of bugs and insects--except for crickets. I can handle spiders, worms, centipedes, slugs, wasps, roaches, whatever. But for some reason, I am absolutely terrified of crickets (and grasshoppers and locusts, since they look and behave relatively similar). Ha ha, confessions of a reptile keeper.

Anyway, if you don't want to deal with crickets and are willing to try out new things, roaches and worms are always an option. I worked with crickets for about two weeks before I decided I had had enough with them and switched to worms (black soldier fly larvae and occasionally superworms) for the past year and a half or so. One of the best decisions of my life, ha ha.

If you stick with crickets, hopefully someone can help you out with an escape-proof way to keep them. Godspeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom