Crickets came with something *EDIT*...BEETLE/ROACH

Status
Not open for further replies.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Well, I just received my crickets and a surprise. I have a bunch of newly-hatched crickets (ordered 1/2"), but that's not the only problem. It looks like there is a small brown, possible red insect that came with them. It *may* just be a small cricket, but it's moving differently. I was able to separate it from the crickets, but I can't tell what it is because it's so small. It just doesn't look right. It's not a worm, it has legs. What all can be found in shipments of crickets? I've seen spiders, flies, but this isn't either of them and it's not those centipede looking things that they are sometimes shipped with. I can't get a picture of it, it moves too fast and is too small.
So, any ideas? Pics would help.
Thanks,
Abi
**EDIT**
OK, it's not a cricket. It slowed down a bit and it's a beetle/roach. It's smaller than the period at the end of this sentence. What type could it be??

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
ive seen those before. i dont know what they are, but they kind of look like miniture june-bugs right? im not sure they can hurt anything but better not take my word for it.

p.s. im uploading some pics tonight then im gonna check out your threads, promise :wink: .

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Hmm, where did you get the crickets from??

I have lived in the south my whole life, and we have chiggers. I don't know if they are actually called something else.. but they are little red bugs. It could be one of those, or it could be another kind of mite/parasite (since chiggers are parasites). I might contact the supplier..

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Kind of, it's so small though and the "fuzzy worms" I've seen are large. It doesn't have wings, that I can see, it CAN climb, it's dark.
I'm looking at some pics, but I just don't know. Does anybody know how small those things are as beetles?

Thanks, BTW...I'll try to update Kaira and Taz's thread...just dealing with this right now. I'll check out Mayze, Trouble, and LG's threads though :D .

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
NegativeCreep":4a3c5 said:

I have lived in the south my whole life, and we have chiggers. I don't know if they are actually called something else.. but they are little red bugs. It could be one of those, or it could be another kind of mite/parasite (since chiggers are parasites). I might contact the supplier..
Premiumcrickets. We live around chiggers too...pretty sure that's not what it is, but premiumcrickets is located further south than us...but it looks more black than red now that it's slowed down some.
Trust me, I plan on calling them first thing in the morning. :angry5:
I just don't know whether or not they are "safe" to feed now...the crickets I mean.
Abi

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
They're cleaner bugs. They come in my cricket shipments also. They eat the dead crickets. Nothing to be concerned about.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I've seen the worm "cleaner bug", but never the beetle. Can you give me a link to a pic? I'm searching, but no luck. I really need a good pic and size estimate to help me determine what it is. I know it's entirely possible that's what it is, but I have to know for sure before I feed these crickets to my babies.
Abi

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
amalsg07":41aa9 said:
NegativeCreep":41aa9 said:

Premiumcrickets. We live around chiggers too...pretty sure that's not what it is, but premiumcrickets is located further south than us...but it looks more black than red now that it's slowed down some.
Trust me, I plan on calling them first thing in the morning. :angry5:
I just don't know whether or not they are "safe" to feed now...the crickets I mean.
Abi

ooh, that kind of sucks, that's who I get my crix from! hehe They are in Georgia, I think.. but I don't think I have ever seen a black chigger, they are def red..

Mistyck - cleaner bugs? Hmmm..
Abi, let us know what they say, please! I hope they are ok

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Working on a pic...and yeah, I've already gotten a spider in one of my shipments from them. Give me a minute and I'll do my best to get a pic. I just can't let it get loose!
Abi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom