CRICKETS (Beardie related)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I'm not always the brightest person out there but I like to think I can be thrifty and common sense....wise. :wink:

Today I was neither. Nor was I innovative per say. :|

Today I tried to transfer 500 crickets from a corrugated box into the cricket holder so I could reach in and pull out a few to Tiantha to munch on. :silent:

Did you know medium crickets can get between the flaps of the corrugated box and hang out there? I didn't until today. :?:

I did also find out that when you reach in to remove the potatoes form the box and shake out the egg crates those inside get very agitated and agitated crickets...hop. :?: :?:

That is to say out of the box onto my tan carpet. Nearly the same color as said crickets. Dive catch oh and keep the box well closed. Stomp a few and throw the lose ones in Tiantha open cage. Why is it open? Just in case. THAT I was smart enough to do. She enjoyed them even a few at a time.

But now I am alone with a box in one hand that is being held shut by my hand on the flaps and I have only transferred a few into the cricket carrier. So now what. :?

Ok we try again. Shake down the crickets this time. Thump thump thump on the floor. Open the box and...AHHH topside crickets lose slam the box closed repeat in Tiantha's age and...stomp more on the floor. Call Mason for help. Get cat. Mason K. Cat goes after at least one I could see. Good boy Mason. Bailing out the dumb Mom. Ok decision tape back up the box. This is not...where is the tape. JOHN! :evil:

No answer. Mutter expletives. Hollar again louder "JOHN~!!!!" :angry5: Up comes housemate who looks at me dumbly then with eyes wide on lose crickets in the house. Mason's presence calms him down. :silent:

He goes tape hunting while in the mean time I find the duck tape. Duck tape fixes EVERYTHING right? Ok Box is sealed. He comes in "I can't find...No I got it." :roll:

OK :oops:

So we go to the garage with box bag and house in tow. We two humans will try ot outwit crickets by doing this in the garage with the door open and no cat. OK cut hole in screen of box this time and shake out about 150 -300 crickets and put the entire bag in the house box to get them out. A couple escape. We find this procedure is better with LOTS of stubborn crickets when we get to the end. :evil:

The end had us both out in 30 degree weather box and bag trying to get last dregs of crickets into bag and into house...just. GAH :angry5:

One decided it liked it in my sleeve on my arm and of course its a bigger one so it tickles like heck. Small freak out as its not supposed to be there. The other. We are in my basement. there are a plethora of spiders in my basement. I know this. I have stacked stone in this 108 year old house.

Don't I pick up a small cricket think its a small spider, freak, throw it kill it and go damn lost another one... :angry5:

Yeah Crickets annoy me when they peep, Spiders terrify me. 500 crickets in a box a barrel of laughs and the homeowners nightmare. In writing this one I STILL have that 'creeping on me' feeling. :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :roll: :!:

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
haha oh my goodness! Thats quite the ordeal!
The things we do for our beardie masters.

If i dropped a whole box of crickets and had them crawling over me I think itd take me a long while before I could look at them again /shudder.

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Blasted crix! I finally bought a huge keep for easy transfers. But I've had escapees in the past. I just threw a beardie in the floor and said fetch! I think it's hilarious that you had your cat going after them. I was thinking, good I'm not the only one. :D

peera

Sub-Adult Member
LOL, this was me too yesterday. "How hard can it be?" Woops. Think I'm doing it outside or in the bathtub (Or making the boyfriend do it by whining my belly's too big, hehe) from now on!

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
exactly why I stopped using crickets lol. I would stand outside for hours trying to get hundreds of crickets from the cardboard box into the plastic container :roll: And even worse when they got loose in the house..I'd go around with a friggin fly swatter and still wouldnt catch em all :x I give anyone who goes through the whole cricket ordeal a LOT of credit lol

boxers

Hatchling Member
:laughhard: :laughhard:
oh man...
i can so relate.
at my work, we get boxes of 2500 large crickets & 1500 small crickets every monday.
whoever works that morning/afternoon always tries to put the task of "releasing" off on someone else there.

i don't mind the big ones too much, i've learned that if you tilt it right, you can fit the box down into the Cricket Tub if you open the flaps quickly first.
very few escape.
the small ones, however, i still haven't got a trick for. the box is so small that the second you try to cut a hole to insert a finger and rip apart the box, fifteen crickets have spewed out of said hole onto your hands, the knife/scissors/whathaveyou and the floor.
and while you go "ahghh!!" about thirty more start to emerge.
at this point in my career, i stab the box, hold it inside the Cricket Tub, and try to tear it apart, while shaking violently.
by the time i get a flap to open, most of the crickets have been flung out of the box already, through small and various holes and tears.

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
oh my i was laughing so hard (but not too much, shhhh im in the computer lab on campus!!) haha I CAN RELATE. wow when I first bought crix online last week they came and i had no idea that they would be lose in the carboard box. I opend it up looked inside
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: OMG CLOSE BOX QUICK.

wow .. !! HAHA .. that's classic .. i had put a couple bags of crickets in a cabinet so my cats wouldn't destroy them and now i have a few loosy's running around my cabinet lol .. still trying to figure out how they got out of the SEALED bags but it's ok .. sounds like you had a fun time .. hope they didn't go hide in those lil nooks n crannies in the house you can NEVER seem to find when they decide to chirp @ 4 in the morning and you're trying to sleep ;]

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Boxers, you crack me up. If I had your job there would be a lot of dead crickets.
Sinplystik":094b6 said:
.. you can NEVER seem to find when they decide to chirp @ 4 in the morning and you're trying to sleep ;]
Oh and don't forget.. when the crickets are chirping at 4 in the morning the cat goes sliding and crashing all over the house trying to catch the little fugitives. I just love that.

Tiantha

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Giggles. Closet one cricket. Bathtub one cricket and toilet rim one cricket. All dead...so far. I am still accountable for 3 others I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom