Cricket set-up question about specific screen(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Hi,

I'm in the middle of a cricket breeding project/trial...I've done it before about 5 years ago, had good results but I never got around to following through with it lol. So, I'm good on the process part, hopefully- and have eggs incubating now.

My question is screen/ventilation related.
I do know and understand that fiberglass screening isn't recommended when setting up cricket tubs- that they can chew through it- HOWEVER, if I used it only on the top, not sides the crickets wouldn't likely be able to chew through it, right???
I mean, as tall as the clear plastic tubs are that I've been using and the new ones I'm trying to set up, I don't have any crickets getting high enough to even attempt to chew through anything, never have whether fairly small or adults, and the newer tubs are nearly as tall.
I do have aluminum screening, too, as I'd never even consider fiberglass with supers lol, but I wanted the fiberglass for the hatchlings and such due to the smaller holes and because I always scrape my hands on the aluminum.
So, how likely is it they'd really ever get the chance to chew on it, even if some of the newer tubs are a bit shorter though still taller than I've seen them jump?
If I needed any side ventilation holes, which I haven't due to how large the cut-outs are in the usual tubs I use, could I do aluminum on the inside part (I use a hot glue gun for feeder set-ups covered with clear plastic tape if needed) and then have the fiberglass glued on the outside part??? Creating a non-chewable inner screen yet still getting the smaller holes with the outer screen and overall double-layering?
Would that be safer/better for the portions cut in the tops/lids, too??
I don't have to worry about getting a bulb for heat in the actual tub, I have heating pads that are controlled by a thermostat, so no issues getting a hole in them for that.
Flies/fruit flies/gnats are another part of why I want more protection- I'm in Kansas and they slip inside no matter how careful.
This whole project was really just because Kaira's recovering from surgery, it'll be 2 months on the 15th since a follicle rupture was found during a planned spaying- the rupture was not planned, obviously, and though it was caught extremely early and appears she was spared any long term damage so far, she's being very picky about live feeders. I've had to get hornworms as she won't eat anything else besides them and slurry/slushy mixes :banghead: .....so I had a ton of crickets all almost adults and no clue what to do with them, hence I'm giving breeding another try lol. It might also help if I decide to get a baby beardie at some point, or Kaira decides she likes them again :roll: , I'd like to have a feeder that's on hand and saving a little would allow more "treats" if I could get one type going.

Any thoughts/opinions are appreciated. :D

Abi

Baldwin

Hatchling Member
You can buy the metal screen at Lowes or Home Depot. I'm using plastic Sterilite bins to breed my crickets in and cut two large holes in the top and used hot glue to secure the screen. You can/should use clear packing tape to line the top of the bin, this will prevent the crickets from climbing out; it's too slick for them to climb. I've never seen a cricket on the side of my bins, so you can probably get away with the non-metal screen on the top.

I have about 5000 pin heads in a bin right now and I just leave the top off during the day. They don't seem to be interested in escaping at the moment.

Good luck!

KairaandTaz08

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks, Baldwin :D .
I do have the metal wiring and I think it's in the same spot as the fiberglass stuff at most Walmarts. I just didn't want to have to use it if I didn't have to lol, I think the fiberglass is easier to work with.
I'm using the Sterilite brand as well, and in the past hadn't had issues with escapees, so I think you're right, if I'm only doing the lids as that's usually plenty ventilation, I don't think they'll chew through the fiberglass.
I doubt it'd be an issue just on top with taller tubs, but, worst case, if some do get high enough and escape, my cats will have fun lol. :wink:
Should have some hatching in the next few days.
Thanks and you too! :D

Abi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom