Cricket proof your carpet (w/pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Edit* LOL fixed my pictures to match the headers :shock:

I had a project today since, Seka had spent a week on paper towels. It was time to put in the reptile carpet. My other 3 enclosures I placed tape around the edge of the carpet to keep the crickets from hiding underneath. This worked for a whole 20 minutes, after the heat starts to get to the tap it looses its effectiveness and starts to loose grip on the carpet. So... I came up with something else VELCRO (to the rescue).
Project took me about 1.5 hours but, for some more savvy folks it can be done faster.
You will need;
Scissors
Roll of adhesive backed Velcro (enough to line the bottom of the tank it is going in) I went with the 15 ft box
Reptile Carpet
***Optional but better****
Needle and thread

First picture shows my cut to fit carpet, Velcro, needles and thread.
SAM_0588.jpg

Next I cut the Velcro to lengths.
SAM_0589.jpg

Then peel the backing off the cloth strip and stick it in place.
SAM_0590.jpg

I also chose to stitch the cloth Velcro pieces to the carpet to give it extra strength.
At first I did some 1/2 inch stitches but, that soon got tiresome and I went the other 3 sides with a zigzag pattern.
SAM_0591.jpg

Next step was to apply the hook side to the cloth side. This is best done slowly, lining up the strips as it is gonna be your placement in the enclosure.
SAM_0593.jpg

Remove the backing.
SAM_0594.jpg

Clean the surface of the enclosure.
SAM_0592.jpg

Then carefully lay in your carpet. Lining up your sides as your go. After you smash your edges down a bit, Remove the carpet leaving the hook side in place.
SAM_0596.jpg

Once you have the carpet removed go back over the hook side pressing it firmly in place (sticks well to clean glass).
SAM_0595.jpg

Decorate and your done.. those little buggers can't resort to hiding under the carpet no more :D
SAM_0598.jpg

One of the things I would have done differently is to use a 2 inch hook side and a 3/4 inch cloth side. This way it will have more surface to adhere to the enclosure. :D :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8: 8)

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
jeritta":s642kx55 said:
great idea :blob5:
Thank you, it worked out wonderfully too. If there are any downfalls of it during use I will let everyone know but right now, all the crickets have to stay above the carpet, they cannot get under :D as well as it hold the carpet flat too. Seka loves it too btw she has been exploring her enclosure a lot more then she used to with paper towel substrate. For when I need to sanitize the carpet I will let everyone know if that holds up too. :D

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thank you, this is what I am going to do with all my tanks but, like I said I will use the 2 inch hook for the bottom instead, this will give it a greater surface area since the adhesive backing doesn't like to stick to the silicone of the tank. The fabric strip will stay the same width though. I was also thinking about it and the hook side will stick to the carpet itself with out the fabric side, how well hasn't been determined though. :study:

Dragoon

Sub-Adult Member
I taped my Astroturf down for Ollie too, just, with Scotch tape. :lol:
I cannot stand those annoying crickets chirping away all night for one more day or I will just feed Ollie waxworms!

BTW, what size is your tank?

I've been looking for a brown mat for my 40 breeder (36x18) with no luck. I can only find green.

jon21388

Juvie Member
i have to do this to stop my dubias from going under my carpet. When i recently cleaned out my tank there was a couple dubias still alive living under the repti-carpet.

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I have found that just laying in the hook side 2inches Velcro stripping, surround the perimeter and one right through the middle will suffice. This takes a lot less effort, the carpet does attach strongly enough not to use the fabric Velcro stripping. :wink:
Cheaper, less work, still does the same job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom