Cricket enclosure, PLEASE HELP/ADVISE

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimeCounty

Hello, I made a cricket enclosure yesterday to hold the large amounts of crickets I will be keeping from now on, I used a very large rubbermaid tote, and cut squares on both ends, and two large openings in the lid, and sealed aluminum screens over each opening...i just wanted to know if I did things right, this was a spur of the moment very cheap solution, so I have no problem making another one if I messed anything up, please let me know...
I used Phenoseal vinyl adhesive caulk and duct tape to seal the screens in place and was wondering if this is ok...does the caulk or duct tape present any harm to the crickets? the caulk is on the outside of the openings between the edges of the openings and the screen, and i used the duct tape to cover up the caulk on the outside and reinforce the screen on the inside of the tote, will the crickets chew at the tape and get to small bits of the caulk that may be accessible?

if i used the wrong materials please let me know what i should use, I've got about 5 days before my 2000 crickets arrive, so I have all the time in the world to make another one, any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ps, lol, i know i should have asked all this BEFORE making it, but I was wandering around a store and it just occurred to me to grab some materials and throw something together... :|

jaidonx13

Hatchling Member
I think it's a good idea as long as the crickets don't eat the caulk or the tape. Then it might harm your beardie if he eat's the crickets. Just make it so the crickets can't eat at the seals of the container.

SlimeCounty

Original Poster
meh, i decided to scrap the first attempt, i bought a larger tote, cut the screens much larger than the openings and used hot glue to seal the screens in place.

jaidonx13

Hatchling Member
SlimeCounty":1izcay4y said:
meh, i decided to scrap the first attempt, i bought a larger tote, cut the screens much larger than the openings and used hot glue to seal the screens in place.

Nice! Post a picture

Caltrat3

SlimeCounty":2erwvliw said:

I used hot glue for my 18g bin as well, I glued on the inside and actually mistakingly bought fiberglass instead of aluminium mesh, but I put clear packing tape along the edges of the screen to cover the hot glue, 3000+ crickets later it's still holding up perfectly, even with the wrong screen type.

also, you're going to want to use the clear packing tape at the top of the bin to keep them from climbing out, about 1 1/2 inches from the top is where I taped mine, I've never had a single cricket climb out while the top was opened. (me dropping them after I get them out is a completely differen't story :mrgreen: )

oh, sidenote, I actually cut out one of the narrow ends of the tote and screened it up as well for even more ventilation, my tub has never had a overwhelming bad stench like most people complain about with crickets, something to consider, good luck!

SlimeCounty

Original Poster
jaidonx13":1g7r1f3l said:
Nice! Post a picture

i'll do u one better, i'll post 2!

crix1.JPG

crix2.JPG

thanks for the input caltrat3, im now on my 4000th cricket and its holding up so far, just hot glue and duct tape, though the duct tape isnt really for keeping crix out, its for stopping me or anyone else from pricking our fingers on the edges of the cut screen. there is a little bit of a smell, but the cleaner i keep it, the less it stinks of course...
HMMMM, clear packing tape along the inside at the top? GREAT IDEA :blob5: :blob8: :blob5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom