Cricket cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbattisti

Juvie Member
OK, so tonight I'm tackling my first cleaning of the cricket bin. :)

I have a second bin at hand and ready to go. Is the process pretty much this?

1. Take out the water/food and transfer to the new.

2. Transfer the crates from old to the new, with as many crickets as possible.

3. Vomit at the smell.

4. Somehow get the stragglers over to the new bin. (Put paper towel rolls in and wait for them to climb inside)

5. Clean the bin with bleach/water.

Is that about it? Any suggestions for how to accomplish 2 and 4 with a minimum of cricket escapees?

If I do this outside in the 20-degree weather (so that escapees end up NOT in the house), will they die from just a few mins of exposure?

Thanks!

Steve

romanfj

Hatchling Member
If you mean a minute or 2, no, they won't all die, but you will have very little time at that temp.

I also wouldn't put the food and water in first. They're just going to get full of cricket poo.

I caught the special on Ghann's Cricket Farm on Dirty Jobs last night and to get cricket out of the bins, they place cardboard towers (you could use the tubes) VERTICALLY in the bins. The crickets just swarm up the vertical surface. Pick up the loaded tube and shake. Wish I'd known that back when I was breeding them.

I'm sure you've heard it a thousand times, but save yourself the trouble and breed roaches.

Frank

sbattisti

Juvie Member
Original Poster
romanfj":3e556 said:
If you mean a minute or 2, no, they won't all die, but you will have very little time at that temp.

I also wouldn't put the food and water in first. They're just going to get full of cricket poo.

I caught the special on Ghann's Cricket Farm on Dirty Jobs last night and to get cricket out of the bins, they place cardboard towers (you could use the tubes) VERTICALLY in the bins. The crickets just swarm up the vertical surface. Pick up the loaded tube and shake. Wish I'd known that back when I was breeding them.

I'm sure you've heard it a thousand times, but save yourself the trouble and breed roaches.

Frank

Thanks. Yeah, these crickets are strictly temporary while my dubia colony reaches self-sustaining levels. But I just started the colony, and with just 25 adults, so it may be a while...

Interesting - I've always put the tubes horizontally!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom