Cricket Breeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kegan987

Hello! I have one question about cricket breeding - does anyone recommend it over buying tons of crickets a week for a two year old beardie? Is it cheaper and not too difficult? I already have a 10 and 20 gallon tank, dirt, hiding places, light fixtures, and everything I would need to breed them. (from past aquatic animals and reptiles) I was just wondering if anyone has been through the experience of cricket breeding, and finds it easier and much less expensive. I do already have cat food (I have two cats) for feeding them, as I have heard people recommend feeding this to the crickets. Thanks!

Breeding feeders is of course a lot cheaper than buying them all the time and you also know what the feeders' diet was and you can adjust it so that your beardie gets the best food possible..But cricket breeding has to be done by the books; if not you will have trouble with cannibalism..So use lots of egg cartons, feed them with cat food and vegetables and make sure they have a water source at all times (water gel is the best option if you ask me)..But crickets do have a few down sides: they make lots of noise and you should be aware that some of them will very likely escape..

If you aren't afraid of roaches I would recommend trying to breed dubia roaches..They are dragon and owner friendly. They are high in protein and have a very soft shell compared to other feeders, also they do not make noise, are very easy to breed and can't climb or fly..

kegan987

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply/info! I would like to try breeding crickets after I get more experience with the beardie first, and just wanted to know what it was like, how easy it is, etc. etc. :)

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
kegan987":1f6qt588 said:
Hello! I have one question about cricket breeding - does anyone recommend it over buying tons of crickets a week for a two year old beardie? Is it cheaper and not too difficult? I already have a 10 and 20 gallon tank, dirt, hiding places, light fixtures, and everything I would need to breed them. (from past aquatic animals and reptiles) I was just wondering if anyone has been through the experience of cricket breeding, and finds it easier and much less expensive. I do already have cat food (I have two cats) for feeding them, as I have heard people recommend feeding this to the crickets. Thanks!

How many crickets are you buying each week for your dragon? At two years old, he shouldn't be getting as much protein in his diet (I believe the recommendation is 30-50 live feeders per week).

kegan987

Original Poster
Actually I don't own him yet - I set up his enclosure today and will be picking him up tomorrow. His previous owner doesn't want him anymore, so I will be adopting him (He is also going to be my very first beardie :)) But thanks for the feeding info, I didn't know that! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buddy- The Bearded Dragon
Top Bottom