cricket bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

godila923

I came home to feed my lizards and I know it is my oldest beardie who is 10 years old was laying at the bottom of the enclosure which is not really all that unusual but he has been doing this for the last 4 days not in the same spot only this time he didn't open his eyes when I put his greens. So I figured he maybe going into his brumation period so I thought cause he hasn't been eating as much and had been laying around but he has never flat out ignored me well I picked h up and he is pretty much not responding to me I did notice a small hole on the top of hi back so I'm assuming he has been bitten by a cricket that he didn't eat right away. But I also notice a small amount of dried blood where his poop comes out at and not sure what can be fr. It's gonna take us a long time to get to a reptile vet because of it being so far I'm not really sure he is gonna make the trip cause really is not responding to no stimuli and you can't even tell he is breathing

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy. Is he displaying a dark beard along with the lethargy? He could be having a problem with one of his systems but it's hard to say where the problem is without any diagnostics. I would hold him and try to make him as comfortable as you can. Perhaps offer him some water or some veg baby food to help get him hydrated. A vet visit may be in order if you can, but if you feel he's too frail to make the trip, just try to make him comfortable and get him hydrated. If the weather is nice perhaps you can take him outside for some natural sunlight. I hope he's able to fight through this. Hopefully others on here will have additional ideas for you.

godila923

Original Poster
Yes his bead is very dark I had a him out of the tank majority of day and night yesterday and we didn't make before they closed yesterday but I cleaned the bite and put some triple antibiotic ointment on it. He usually never leaves any crickets I'm kinda mad at my self for not noticing it. I use that green felt at the bottom of tank so I'm assuming the cricket had to be hiding under that his poop or urate has not changed color or form. I did remove him from his 75 gallon tank and put in a smaller tank just so he could receive more heat and uvb light while I was at work. I have had him for 10 years I really hate to let go

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I had a very sick rescued skink , I had one of those hot/cold packs that you use for sprains, warmed it up in hot water, wrapped in tea towel and placed the wod in a ventilated tub that has a handle on the lid and skink went in a small ventilated take away tub with lots of shredded tissue paper (great thermal insulation) and of to vet (40 minute drive at the time).

You could do something similar to keep your very sick beardie warm for the trip, perhaps a hot water bottle wrapped in towel under him.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
OR :

You could call the vet on the phone and tell him what's happening and tell him your pet is too frail in your opinion to leave the house or survive the journey , and ask if he'll arrange for some meds (antibiotics (to inject) to help fight any SI he may have) and ask maybe for some some critical care food supplements to be left with his practice's reception desk for you to collect so you can at least get your very sick beardie started with some meds and to try to build him back up to get him strong enough to survive the journey to and from the vet so he can conduct a proper vet examination when you feel the beardie is strong enough.

My vet was very good in this regard and extremely helpful.

Some vets do house calls , wont be cheap, but I guess it comes down to much you value the health and wellbeing of your pet. Personally - I'd spare no expense for my beloved reptilian children.

godila923

Original Poster
Way ahead of you I did that earlier before I went to work so I could pick them up when I got off

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
godila923":5ov344oy said:
Way ahead of you I did that earlier before I went to work so I could pick them up when I got off

Hope you see an improvement in him soon . I know it can be a very worrying thing to have a very sick and much cherished pet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom