Crap...How can I introduce two beardies? I know I shouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmorse

Hey guys,

My buddy has a Beardie. He just called me, and asked what was wrong with his beardie. From what he told me, the beardie has the beginnings of MBD. I told him, and told him he HAS to get a UVA/UVB bulb. He doesn't have the money to pick it up until Friday (When he gets paid).

The issue is, I don't want the MBD to get worse. My Beardie was a rescue, already stunted. She is around 15 to 16 inches, tip to tip, and as big as she is going to get. His beardie is a male, and a little bit smaller.

How can I put his into my tank, to absorb the UVA/UVB, until he gets the new tank setup? My tank is DEFINITELY big enough to accommodate two beardies, however, I am very worried about them fighting. (And rightly so, I am well aware that this should NOT be done). I am stuck, since I don't want his beardie getting worse.

The other option is putting my girl in his tank, while I have his dude. The problem with this is his tank is a 20L. 20 gallons is extremely small, especially compared to what she is used too. I don't want to have to do this, as I know she will not like it.

Any suggestions?

:banghead:

invictusrules

Juvie Member
Please, please don't put them together! The benefit from the light wouldn't outweigh the stress.

Is there any way to disconnect your UV light and put it in/on the other tank? Even a few hours a day would help.

(You are an awesome beardie friend! :headbang: )

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Is it a fluorescent tube fixture? If so, you can just divide your tank with a piece of cardboard or whatever you can find. It's not a permanent solution but should be fine till he gets paid and both will be getting the benefits of the light. If you put them together the male will probably try to mate, even though she is bigger, and that's not a risk you want to take.

rmorse

Original Poster
invictusrules":97307 said:
Please, please don't put them together! The benefit from the light wouldn't outweigh the stress.

Is there any way to disconnect your UV light and put it in/on the other tank? Even a few hours a day would help.

(You are an awesome beardie friend! :headbang: )

No way to disconnect the UV light. I made my tank around a year ago, and bought a fixture from Home Depot, and installed it on the tank to hold the bulbs.

rmorse

Original Poster
dolcedragon":791a8 said:
Is it a fluorescent tube fixture? If so, you can just divide your tank with a piece of cardboard or whatever you can find. It's not a permanent solution but should be fine till he gets paid and both will be getting the benefits of the light. If you put them together the male will probably try to mate, even though she is bigger, and that's not a risk you want to take.

That is a good idea.

I think I know what I am going to do though. I'm gonna grab a 50 gallon rubbermaid bucket from home depot, and throw my girl into it, with a clamp lamp on it. I have an extra bulb lying around. Then, his can go into my cage for a bit.

One question: My beardie should be fine without the UVA/UVB for less then a week, right? I can throw her into the rubbermaid until he gets paid, and buys the bulb?

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
If yours is a tube - and your tank is big - how about getting a smaller rubbermaid and putting it in the tank with your girl. You would be decreasing her move around space but they would both be getting the light.

Catalyst

BD.org Addict
rmorse":eca7d said:
That is a good idea.
I think I know what I am going to do though. I'm gonna grab a 50 gallon rubbermaid bucket from home depot, and throw my girl into it, with a clamp lamp on it. I have an extra bulb lying around. Then, his can go into my cage for a bit.

One question: My beardie should be fine without the UVA/UVB for less then a week, right? I can throw her into the rubbermaid until he gets paid, and buys the bulb?

That will work just fine. When I go out of town and bring Randal with me, she lives in a rubber tub with no UVB. As long as your dragon is healthy, a couple of days without UVB is no big deal.

rmorse

Original Poster
Ok guys,

I picked up a 35 gallon rubbermaid container today...It is the same width as a 40 breeder, but 7 inches shorter. Almost same size as the 40 breeder. She is NOT happy with me right now, but she will live.

The other little guy is in my big cage. I put him on the basking spot, and he has already lifted his head (A good sign, he wasn't before). We will see what happens :blob8:

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hugely relieved that you didnt put them in together.
I know you were only wanting to do whats best though.

I hope the little guy picks up.

Holly

rmorse

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys. The little guy was WAY worse then described to me. My friend felt really bad, since he didn't know how bad the Beardie was until he got it next to mine. He couldn't lift his head up :(

However, good news: An hour and a half after I put him into my tank, he was lifting himself up, and lifting his head up. He was also gaping, and moving about a good bit! Looks like he may turn out to be ok! :blob5: :blob8:

rmorse

Original Poster
Damn...He is worse today. He is hiding in the cage, away from the UVB and heat. I picked him up (he was EXTREMELY limp) and placed him on the basking spot. Any ideas? He didn't accept any crickets at all...

Any ideas on how to get him to eat/increase calcium/fight MBD? Also, when should I try soaking him? I am scared of how weak he is...

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

xJaZx

Hatchling Member
He is probably stressed from being relocated? I would just keep putting him back on the basking spot to make sure he is absorbing the heat & UV. Unless he of course is thermogating himself.

akingsley9000

Gray-bearded Member
He may be dehyrated. I would take a tupperware lid or a frizbee (if you have one) fill it with warm water and place him in it. he may or may not drink from it. he will absorb water through his vent.

I would also get some baby food - chicken and/or squash. Mix some of the calcium in with it and offer it to him with a syringe. Try putting a drop of it on his nose to see if he will lick it off - you don't want to force feed if you don't have to.

rmorse

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys. No, I don't think he is thermo-regulating, because I know he can gape: I have seen him do it. I think he is just extremely lazy/weak.

Will definitely try the baby food and the warm water...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom