Could it be Semi-Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLB85

Tilman is 7.5-8 months old and is acting a bit weird lately. I've never dealt with brumation before, but he seems to be exhibiting some behaviours that he's slowing down. The past 4-5 days he seems to have stopped basking and is spending hours in his cave, or sprawled out on the floor in a darker side of his tank. I get worried that he's too cold and will place him under his lights or take him out for a cuddle on his heat pad (specially temp control as not to burn him or get too hot). He's not as active and isn't eating as much. The weirdest thing, is each night I burrito him in a blankey, and every morning he gets out of his burrito 30-60 mins after his lights come on. But the past few days, he's not getting up, and I've been making him get up at 11:30 (his lights come on at 9am). Today I thought I'd leave it up to him and at 1:30pm he was still in his burrito! I took him out, but I'm a little worried about him.

He's super healthy, he has a huge tank with proper temps and UV. He doesn't seem to be losing any weight because I weighed him on Jan 23 and he was 466.5grams, and I weighed him today, on Feb 8 and he's 510 grams. He seems to be a big boy for his age and I've read that sometimes quick growers can have a slow down/lethargy period. I will probably get his poop tested at the vet, but he is pooping everyday and it looks good.

Would love to hear thoughts from more experienced beardie parents. I'm sure I'm just over thinking it, but rather be safe than sorry!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If his weight is steady then he might be going into a slowdown and is OK. If he can easily get to the basking area if he wants to, I'd keep the lights on the normal schedule and just let him be. Keep close track of his weight but if that is stable and he isn't showing a black beard or signs of illness then I'd let him do his thing.

KLB85

Original Poster
He definitely seem to be okay and not in any distress - no black bearding or anything. Yesterday was the first day he didn't eat anything but a few bites of salad in the morning - he refused his bugs all day. I am getting his fav roaches tonight, so I'm hoping that will get him interested in eating a bit. But is it okay if his eating slows down like that for a little while, if he's not showing signs of distress or loosing weight? Do you think I should let him stay in his burrito all day? Or is it better I get him up, like I have been doing? That's when he seems to eat his salad, before he moves to the dark corner and plops down on the floor. He used to bask every morning when he got up.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds OK if everything else is OK. I'd base handling him on how he reacts. If he's OK just wandering around a bit when you have him out and doesn't seem too bothered keep that up. Otherwise if he's just acting sleepy I'd leave him alone for the most part. I don't think it would be harmful either way it's just a matter of trying to read him a bit and do the less annoying thing =)

KLB85

Original Poster
Well good news, this morning he got up about 15-20 mins after his lights turned on and went straight over to his basking spot :D ! Don't know why he was acting so weird for a few days there, but I'll keep my eye on him and hopefully he stays with his normal routine like he did this morning. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom